1988 Evenrude Electric Start 15hp Prop Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busbey

Reaction score
runs perfect, no problems but curious about possibilities of prop change and gains. recently loaded up the boat with a little more weight than normal in my 12ft v hull. i had to have the guy in the front lean over the bow for a few min to get on plain. When it is just me, or someone else with regular weight (full 3gallon tank, rods and 2 batteries in the back) i notice it gets 3/4 on plain and stays there for a few seconds, then it sounds like i switched gears, it levels off and takes off. i can feel it take off. by myself with all equipment i get about 21mph. I am not looking to break any speed records but i feel a prop change would help me in several ways. also, i do not have a Dolphin Tail' ? on it. that rubber thing that bolts on and help me on plain easier. should i look into one of these or changing the prop?

How do i check what i have now? I assume it is labeled somewhere. Where?

With that information, how do i calculate for the best prop size for my needs?

Also, what are the differences between 3 and 4 blade props?

again on the trolling motor, what are the differences on a 50lb thrust

1/4 x 8 is on the prop. Should I get a 9 or 10? Or the dolphin tale?

Please help me out guys.

I think you are propped right. You will never get that motor to wind out if you go with a higher pitch prop. You should move at least one of the batteries to the bow.

check out my build.. you will see that in the back, i have each battery sort of tucked away and out of the way. i have no room to put it in the front, really. that's clean at least. i totally agree with you though. this is why i am debating on redoing the deck a little bit. do you think a dolphin tale attachement would help me if i have to keep it as is?

question about the prop, i would like to know more about the angle and how that changes things for top end and low end torque. i read that someone with an 8 changed to a 9 and now they are going 5mph faster. when that 5mph is 25% of the total speed, makes it seem like a lot.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20339&start=45

going back through the post, i have to point out that i no longer have than long shaft motor. so the motor sits perfect and is no bearing on the issue i am having.