Help! help with Sears (eska) 7hp leaking gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack in N.C.

Reaction score
Hello, got 2 small outboards. Merc 2.5 and this Sears 7. I always now at the end of the day turn off the fuel valve and run engine dry as on both of these motors when I have not done that then laid them on there side and gas leaks out from somewhere. When I run them dry I have no problem laying them on the side.

Now fast forward and I just had the 7 hp worked on. new impellar and I had a new head gasket put on. I also had the mechanic put new fuel line and filter from tank to carb. I picked motor up and he evidently didn't shut the fuel off, thus leaving gas in carb and line. I carried motor by handle and then when I put in back of truck gas was coming out of the exhaust port just above the prop and also the 2 pee holes. Is this normal? and when it first happened to me and I learned to run them dry I don't remember it leaking this much gas....it was coming out of the exhaust port pretty heavy. Thanks for any responses. Mack

ESKA: IE another word for long slow suicide on the water! :D

When we were young, one of us had an Eska. You could tell wherever he was by listening for the "Buuuusdddehhha, :lol: Buuuusdddehhha, :D Buuuusdddehhha :LOL2: ....out on the lake somewhere.

Finally one day we were watching him enjoying hisself with that Eska, and saw him pick up a can of Diesel Starting fluid.
Spraying it liberally into the front of that poor little imitation of an Outboard motor.
We thought the striking of a Match was next.... :LOL2:

But no! He pulled on the 'Fuse' one more time and one helluva Racket came outta that motor.
Whatta triumph for the Mechanical and Chemical engineers of ambiguity and frustration.

His Canoe Leaped! Right out from under him, as he was tumbled over the motor, trying to avoid that flywheel in motion on top. The Canoe went on down the Lake without him. Its difficult to catch fish from your Eska powered escapee Canoe under those circumstances.

He said afterwards that it was a real pleasure to know that the obstinate little Ba&tard would actually run.
But he was treading water in one part of the lake, watching the Canoe doing ever widening circles on another part of lake as the motor slowed down to the normal Eska pace.
Yessir, an Eska is a Peace n' Quiet motor.

The Truant, powered by that Diesel starter Fueled Bomb, made several, every widening circles on the lake, and finally burying itself in some Brush up onto a sloping beach. Several Cows grazing near the lake, ran for their lives.
After it was safe to approach, somebody retrieved the Canoe and the still smoking Suicide Bomber for him .
Yessir we always enjoyed the opening of Rainbow Trout season on Jameson lake, Eastern Washington. :LOL2:

"Thanks for any responses. Mack"

Even the one above ^^^ good story though. :LOL2: :LOL2: =D> =D>

Poor man asked for help and I can't help either.

Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331098#p331098 said:
nccatfisher » Yesterday, 17:37[/url]"]It just flooded by the carb and filled up the engine.

well hello nccatfisher,didnt know you got on here too. fiqured it was that but never had it come out of peee holes but my mechanic said it could depending on what port was open and how I carried it or tilted it.

to the first poster, this motor has always ran great. replaced head gasket just to replace it cause it was old, same as impellar but motor has always cranked right away and runs STRONG. motor has never not ran except when I was in college and didn't use it for a few years and carb gummed up and had to rebuild carb(my fault)... mechanic mentioned to me that he was surprised(because of age) how good it runs and how good the compression is.
going to run it tomorrow, I will post video on my blog and here when I get time. 1 bad thing about motor is that it is LOUD.

Ran motor yesterday. she ran great as she always has. I swear I think she is pushing this little Jon 18-20 miles and hour. Watch it Thudpucker and you will see how a good motor runs. yall must have had a bad one as this one has always ran great. Only time she missed a beat yesterday was when she ran out of gas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXzNgGnDD94

Good deal, glad she ran well for you. Most of those old motors did well as long as they were maintained well. The ones that gave trouble usually have been hacked on at one time or another.

Latest posts