Prop Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a 2010 yam 4 stroke 40 efi on an older 1650 xpress duck boat factory aluminum prop,12p,not sure of diameter. Gets on plane pretty easy even with 4 people, runs 29 to 31 mph gps. Prop has a few nicks and am looking to replace it. Anybody have experience with similar set up with different prop. Thanks.

what is the current RPM at wide open throttle?

Need to know that before spending $$$$ on props.

Don't have a tach, motor is a tiller, how hard is it to hook one up. Have heard people mention tiny tachs, do they just plug in.

A tiny tach wraps around the plug wire (another wire that is) and gets grounded to the block. I personally have had issues with false readings at idle with one but it was 10 years old and I think the new ones are better.
As far as props go, you need to figure out what load you are normally going to run, if you normally run light then a steeper prop will be ok until you put more weight in the boat, then you need to "regear" the boat with a lower pitch prop. A stainless prop is more efficient so with the same pitch you should gain mph but there are no guarantees. If it jumps on plane with a normal load you could probably go up an inch or two on pitch.
The only way to properly to set it up is with a tach and GPS. But if it seems to jump on plane and be revving out good the go up and see what happens.
Remember outboards don't have a transmission with gears so if your pulling a load you won't be able to swing an "overdrive" prop.
My 1232 with an 8 hp yamaha can hit 28 mph with the right prop and just me in the boat, but does about 16 with wife and kids, with a different prop of course, won't even think of planing with the speed prop. Just remember every boat and setup is different so good luck!