1951 Elgin Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtyer

Reaction score
While at my Mom's house, I found a 1951 Elgin 2.5 hp outboard that my dad and I used to use when we rented a boat at Bull's Place in Swansboro in the late 50's through mid-60's. It has been sitting under a shed for at least 45 years but I figured, what the heck, I'd have a go at getting it running again.

I spent about 6 weeks spraying penetrating oil into the cylinder and tapping it with a rubber mallet each time I passed by. Finally got it completely apart (breaking off only 1 bolt). All looks good - including the roller bearing - except the impeller. The information I have about the original impeller shows an interesting configuration that is missing from my motor. The impeller in my motor is a small diameter rib style but is completely rotted away.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can find a replacement impeller? If I can find one, that will be great. If not, I'll likely have a bunch of clean, fresh primed parts for sale.

Go to the Antique Outboard site. www.aomci.org
When inside go to the ask-a-member section and post a question in there.
I know there is a member who casts new impellers for NLA ones. He possibly has what you need.
If not...there should be members who have one to share with you. Have seen several of those little engines run and they are good runners