plastic fuel tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipper123

Reaction score
Anyone have the Tohatsu, Nissan Mercury branded fuel tank for a newer 4 stroke and know who its made by. I noticed a hugh difference in price of the fuel tanks now and Academy Sports has the Attwood set up 50.00 less than some of the factory branded tanks. Just wondering if they are all the same. May be that factory tanks are made by Moller ? IDK I guess Moller is a better tank IDK that either. Seems they always cost more than attwood. As many fuel related problems as I now see I dont want to skimp on that one. Our local boat mechanic is making a killing off removing water and crud from fuel tanks and carbs. I often wonder if the vent on some fuel tanks dont let water leak in when its raining out and your running the motor to get back in or just fishing in the rain. Im running a 2013 4HP Tohatsu and need a external tank and hose set up. Got caught out on the water this weekend and trying to pour fuel in that little hole with the boat jumping up and down dont work. Time for a external tank.

Can't speak from personal information, but boat motor mech pro told me water condensation is a bigger problem in plastic tanks. I just got a "Mr. Funnel" from Amazon which separates water and crud from gasoline.

But the knowledgeable folks will chime in, I expect.

I have the Attwood 6 gallon tank and have had no issues with it. I run only non ethanol gas and marine stabil in it. I also have an inline fuel filter to catch any crud that might be in the tank and the Stabil gets rid of any condensation that my be collecting, which for me so far has been none. I personally have no concerns with the plastic tank and would not be afraid to recommend one.

Plastic or metal is fine. I prefer plastic myself. Just make sure your fuel is clean and if your not going to use it for awhile add conditioner of some sort or drain it.

I've read some negative comments about the Moeller tanks that were purchased from West Marine, especially the newer design (ventless) but people have resolved that by buying an old style cap with a vent and problems solved. Attwood tanks have to be made by someone, possibly the same plant.

I've got a 5hp Merc 4stroke with the internal tank and external tank connections, but so far have only used the internal tank.

Thanks Guys, think I will just try the Attwood tank at Academy Sports as well. They sell the mercury small four strokes which are the same motor and should have the correct fuel hose to match. I always use stabill and non ethanol fuel. In my little humble opinion as well as the boat machanics ethanol fuel is crap. It already cost me a Echo weed eater and carb problems on a Echo chain saw. Did make the mechanic happy tho as he rides around in his new $70,000 bass boat paid for by all the boat repairs on ethanol use. Why in the world would you put hydroscopic fuel in a boat ? After speaking with my local fuel store they tell me all top grade fuel is non ethanol IDK bout that one. They have a dedicated 87 non ethanol fuel pump on the diesel island just for boats to pull thru. I will stick with that one.

I have no experience with Merc/Tohatsu/Nissan/'Rude stuff. All I know is Yamaha.

Yamaha's factory tanks are FAR superior to anything you can get from Academy. They are thicker low-perm material that does not swell or collapse. Speaking of the 3 gallon tanks exclusively, I have not had any feedback from their OE 6 gal tanks. I have a 3 gal tank. Cost me well over $100, and I work for a dealer and got 20% off retail. Reason I spent that money on a tank? Because I've had a Moeller and an Attwood (both from Academy). One of them BROKE during operation (running up river/smooth water, tank swelled due to pressure buildup and split right at the mold parting line). Spewed fuel all over the boat. Spoke with a manufacturer representative, they didn't offer anything but an apology. The other tank also broke at the mold parting line, that one while it was sitting in the boat and just a few drops of fuel in it. Both of them are the supposed EPA compliant tanks, which is all you can get now. The old tanks, if you can find them, have a traditional vent. While the idea of the vent is nice, if you combine it with today's "quality" fuel, the vent allows moisture to enter. The OE Yamaha 3 gal tank I have-so far I have not seen any moisture in it. Had it about 8 months (bought it Feb 2013). It is recalled due to the fuel line connector, but I like the round connector. I'll probably trade it in this winter so they'll quit sending me letters.

I know Yamaha's tanks are made by the same folks who make another brand, however, it's about the same as Sabre and John Deere. Made by same company, but totally different products, at least for a while anyway. Now all the JD stuff is basically garbage, IMO.

Fuel quality has changed. Used to be that you could let fuel sit in a vented container for an indefinite amount of time and it would be fine. Nowdays, fuel evaporates VERY quickly. When it evaporates, the remainder loses heat, which then causes condensation to form. Pretty soon you have WATER in the what's left of the fuel. Kind of like saltwater. Once it evaporates, it leaves behind the salts. Same for today's fuel. That's why I have been suggesting the new style Low-permeation fuel tanks, even though they cost more. I hate the price too just like everyone else does.

Latest posts