1992 20hp Johnson advice needed, possible purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcalla

Reaction score
I have been searching cl for the last 3-4 months to find an outboard. I found a 1992 johnson short shaft, rope start that may work out. The problem is that it doesn't have the carburetor or starter. I have browsed ebay to see if the parts can be found, and it seems that they are available. Would you take on this project? Are the '90s johnsons worth messing with? I'm new at this, and my only experience is with a 15hp 1978 johnny.

Is there a way to test compression without the starter? What would you look for when inspecting the motor (assuming you would mess with it)? What would you offer?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm sick of looking at my tinny just sitting in the driveway, and want to get it out on the water.

Where are you? Somebody from this forum may be near enough to help you out.

Your looking at finishing up that wreck from Junk yard parts and then hope there was NOT a good reason why that stuff is missing.
Buy one that's working.
As far as Rope start VS electric start, goes one is easier and the other is more complex. Both are good. :eek:

You can check the compression by wrapping a rope around the fly wheel. Knot one end and put the knot in the crevice and wrap it a few times around the fly wheel then pull it like ya stole it.

Too bad he is not in north Texas, I have two 18hp motors that work just fine. As far as the 20hp, thumbs down. He's inexperienced with motors, the luck of finding the parts(all the parts) and installing & adjusting is a long shot. And then seeing the boat still in the drive doing nothing. Sad news!

Thanks for the replies so far. I am in Indiana, if that matters. I know it's probably not the best idea, but if I can pick it up for a song, then source all the parts needed and install them, I may have a good running motor for half (or less than half) of what I've seen them go for on cl, or I could have a piece of junk. I'm not opposed to working on it, and have a full shop at my disposal. I have never done this before, but I don't mind learning. I wouldn't say I'm a mechanic by any stretch, but know how to turn a wrench, so to speak.

At the very least, I would have to buy the rope starter (or electric, plus mount), carb, prop and service manual. I'm thinking around $300 for those, if I watch fleabay or find a donor motor on cl. Does the $300 sound reasonable?

Let's say for discussion sake, that the compression checks out, and I have the ability to do the work. How much would you pay for said motor?

Thanks in advance.

I would give them $60 for the motor. Mostly 'cause I am cheapskate, and I know that I would be dumping other money for parts. For that price at worst you may be able to recomp price by parting the motor.
If I could check compression and it's good I might go to $100, maybe.

Do what YOU want to do. If you want to pick it up and learn how to get one going....go for it.
Would be easier to help if you could shoot some pics and post them. Close ones for the powerhead area.
Check the gearlube for water and put it in gear and see if you can turn the flywheel by hand as well to check the gearcase.
Yes, you can check compression by using a manual start rope. Should be within 10% of each other. Numbers vary quite a bit year to year.
Should be quite a few carbs out there to choose from. Aftermarket starters are out there but most are Chinese and not lasting as long as OEM ones.

Well, he wants $50 for it, plus he's going to throw in a 95 mariner 20hp long shaft parts motor. Deal or no?

I also found an early-mid 70s (I think) evinrude 25 that hasn't been started in 3 years for $275. Thinking that is a better deal.

Latest posts