Anyone purchased a 40HP remote outboard, new-in-box . . .

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
. . . without having the dealer install it? Seems every motor over 25HP has some mystical requirement that "the dealer must rig it". It's not rocket science.

Attachments

• M-40EFI.jpg
    M-40EFI.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 353
Its all about making sure the installation, systems integration, and adjustments are done properly for one.
You say its not rocket science but you would not believe how many times I have found basic shift and throttle adjustments way off....apparently done by some rocket scientist.
On a new engine this can lead to gearcase damage first and foremost. Then who pays the bill??? Definitely not a manufacturers defect in materials or workmanship. Warning systems are in the mix as well. You hook em up and they don't function and something goes wrong.....who pays??
Incorrect propeller selection creating a damage scenario. Tachometer on the wrong setting creating an improper propeller selection......
Improper mounting or a weak transom....another disaster waiting to happen. Who pays?
You want to use your old control box and cables and then complain to the dealer about stiff throttle or shifting operation......not happy when he tells you its not the engine.
Engine installed directly behind a large transducer which creates an overheat situation for the engine....who pays??
Just much easier to pay the dealer a couple hours of labor and let him deal with the proper set up. No questions then.
Get the idea?

Don't know about Merc, 'Rude, Tohatsu, Suzuki, or any others but Yamaha.

Yamaha REQUIRES a predelivery inspection form to be filled out before they will register the warranty. If a dealer doesn't fill it out...you don't get warranty. If they fill it out falsely, they lose their dealership and face possible legal actions.

There's just too many things that "can" go wrong in that type deal.

I guess some dealers could sell the motor to you, you rig it on your boat, then take it back for PDI before you put it on the water, but why? As suggested previously, a couple hours' labor paid to the dealer to rig your boat and you now have a properly serviced/rigged boat & motor and all the correct paperwork, so if something goes haywire, you can't blame yourself. To me, that's worth the $100-$200 in labor.

The dealer I purchased my outboard and controls from installed it for no additional charge. They are a mom and pop dealer and I think they were happy to have the outboard purchased from them.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331960#p331960 said:
turbotodd » Yesterday, 21:42[/url]"]
I guess some dealers could sell the motor to you, you rig it on your boat, then take it back for PDI before you put it on the water, but why? ........
While I totally agree that paying the dealer for a couple of hours labor is usually not a deal breaker, I have, on two separate occasions, done what you outlined above: I pick up the motor / controls, mount them myself, and then return the boat to the dealer for PDI check-out, et cetera.

Both were Yahamas, both from the same dealer. And the reason was that I wanted them (particularly the controls) mounted in a particular way, in a particular spot. Previously, that dealer, even with detailed instructions, had not been able to mount the motor and and controls to my requirements. And once holes are drilled, things mounted, et cetera, there is no easy or neat way to correct the "mistake". Granted, everything worked, but every time you use the boat you are reminded about how things are not exactly where they should be in your mind.

My experience was that even though the salesman and I talked about how things should be laid out / mounted, when it got done it was just passed on to the shop guy as "mount the motor", and he used his ideas / best judgement on how and where to do so. Sure, it was a communications problem between the sales staff and shop staff, but it ended up being my problem to live with.

So the next time around, I did all the mounting, and they did all the original cranking, checkout, et cetera.

Latest posts