lower unit oil level question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
I was changing the lower unit oil on my 15 evinrude today and before I could get the bottom screw in, quite a bit leaked out (not sure of an exact measurement maybe 30ml?). I had the top screw in and was using the screw in pump they sell at Walmart. I put the screw in just as fast as I could unscrew the threaded nozzle from the lower unit and replace the screw. Should I be concerned?

Fill from the bottom screw until it comes out the top screw hole.. when it comes out the top its full.. you wont lose much between taking the pump off and putting the screw in.. aslong as you dont putz about :)

Also helps a little bit to put the top one back in prior to removing the pump.. kind of a vacuum, still need to go fast like a bunny or use your finger..

I pump the oil until it comes out the top plug. Then wait a minute or two because of air trapped inside then pump it to the it comes out the top plug hole again then install plug then give it a little extra oil then remove pump with the bottom plug in the other hand. Thats how I do it.

Steve

if the top plug is in, and you are loosing oil through the bottom screw then you have a bad leak somewhere. either the drive shaft or maybe the shift seal.
i have serviced many lu's. when i get a lot of oil when i pull the hose, then i will go ahead and pressure test and stick it in a bucket of water to look for the air bubbles.

If you think a lot leaked out the bottom hole then just top it off thru the top hole. Won't hurt anything.
Make sure you use the screw to close the top hole before removing the pump from bottom hole.
Tim