BRIGGS AND STRATTON 5HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1436delta

Reaction score
I GOT THIS ENGINE IN A TRADE WAS WONDERING WHAT KINDA MONEY IT WAS WORTH
I HAVE REPLACED ALL THE FUEL LINES AND REBUILT THE CARB
I DIDNT GET THE HOSE OR A TANK WITH IT SO I DIDNT WANT TO BUY TANK AND HOSE AND BE TO HIGH
ON THE COST THANKS :USA1:

Does it look like this?

5298.JPG

:twisted:

I PAID 120.00 FOR IT AND GOT 30.00 IN CARB KIT AND FUEL LINE
I FOUND A 3GAL TANK THAT I BOUGHT YESTERDAY ON CL FOR 10.00
BUT STILL NEED HOSE FOR TANK HERE IS A PIC

I am always browsing Craigslist looking at boats. I am seeing more of these Briggs motors. How do they compare to say a Mercury or Evinrude? I know the price is a lot lower. Would one of these make a decent kicker motor?

Mine always started regardless of temperature. I only got my boat on plane once with it, and that was on a cold day, with a stiff tailwind, with just me in the boat. LOL! They are quite a bit louder than a conventional outboard and vibrate a bit more. The cool thing is that they are air cooled. I think that they would have done very well if they offered larger motors. I would have liked to have had a 12 or 15 horse. Wouldn't even have to worry about weeds then. Just chop right through them like a mud motor!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333130#p333130 said:
wingsnhammers » 27 Oct 2013, 22:31[/url]"]<snip> ... Wouldn't even have to worry about weeds then. Just chop right through them like a mud motor!

I think you were s'posed to remove the blade and install a prop. :lol:

I've seen those Briggs 5hp with a small copper pipe plumbed up for an underwater exhaust, to quiet it down. Seemed pretty easy and it made a difference. I'll look for the pic I saved when I considered buying one. Another thing to note is that those motors aren't designed to be trolled with.