Color Change on an outboard motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I just bought an 1980's Evinrude 25 HP. and want to paint it flat green to match my Polar Kraft. I'd like to paint the hood white and have some custom graphics made. Has anyone changed a color and had it look good. I don't want the paint to flake. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Todd

Be aware that when you do this ..... your engine loses value immediately, never looks as good again and you will have a difficult time selling compared to the production finish.
Kind of like when someone takes a perfectly good motorcycle and makes a "bobber" out of it. All the parts are still there but the value is gone.
I have yet to see one that looks good and always wonder why the heck people do this.

You can paint a motor and make it look better or you can paint it and make it look horrible.
Check this out, this is the before and after paint job on this motor. As you can see the PO's paint job looks rather bad, and my new and improved paint job looks a little better.
So, if you decide to paint it make sure you can get back to the "correct" color if need be.

If you plan on running that motor until she pops.. paint it.. its already almost 30 years old, make it what you want!!

My project was intended to include the OEM metal flake paint but ended up with a non metalic powder coat in a similar powder blue color. Quality repaint ...certainly. original colors definitely not. Diminished value....she's running great...Ill try to post if and when I sell it for the resale value though I dont suspect it'll be anu tiime soon. IMHO this repaint and rebuild will only increase the value as the quality and attention to detail will be clearly evident and show the motor was in deed cared for. Check it out: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31988

Latest posts