Need recommendations 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbornemike

Reaction score
I'm having my first skiff built and researching power options. Max hp is 20, I need a 15" shaft tiller model. I like the new lightweight Suzuki https://www.newoutboards.com/Suzuki-20-hp-outboard-DF20AES.html however I'm not clear on the "shallow water tilt" feature works, I would like elctric tilt.
I think tohatsu 20hp model has this feature, I'm not sure if I realy need to have power tilt, although I will be running rivers and shallow flats.

The tohatsu is a good engine and usually cheaper than most others including nissan and mercury which are just rebadged tohatsu engines. When I run the river my mercury/mariner has a plastic leg that flips out to give motor extra trim. I always set the pin in the lowest hole and use this feature to keep me running shallow in as little as 10" of water. Doing so prevents me from going very fast but on the rivers I run i never travel more than 10mph anyway due to possibilities of boulders or logs being just about anywhere. The electric trim feature on small outboards usually only work at idle speeds and cost a couple hundred extra and about 20lbs only you can decide if its worth it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=333909#p333909 said:
stevesecotec02 » Today, 01:35[/url]"]The tohatsu is a good engine and usually cheaper than most others including nissan and mercury which are just rebadged tohatsu engines. When I run the river my mercury/mariner has a plastic leg that flips out to give motor extra trim. I always set the pin in the lowest hole and use this feature to keep me running shallow in as little as 10" of water. Doing so prevents me from going very fast but on the rivers I run i never travel more than 10mph anyway due to possibilities of boulders or logs being just about anywhere. The electric trim feature on small outboards usually only work at idle speeds and cost a couple hundred extra and about 20lbs only you can decide if its worth it.
Thanks Steve its really the extra weight on the electric trim that I do not like.