2000 115 johnson idle issues please help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newboater13

Reaction score
To make a long story short, bought a 2000 seaArk with a 2000 115hp motor, took the boat out ran fine for 10 minutes then went WOT when around 5000 rpm the boat like jerked and the rpms dropped then revved back up then i wasnt able to get it to restart. Came home inspected the fuel lines pulles the fuel filter off the motor and it had a ton a junk/rubber inside of it I replaced the filter and fuel lines now I'm not able to get it to idle, the bulb gets hard and will idle for like 2 minutes on muffs the only way to keep it going is to pump the bulb will keep it running. I made sure that there are no air leaks. Took it to a marine shop he told me the carbs were dirty and it would be 600 to clean and rebuild them I said no went and took it to a buddys house he thinks it might be the power pack does the power pack control the fuel pump like not getting enough power to pull the fuel or could dirty crabs stop the fuel from coming in? I also think I'm not getting spark on one of the heads is that a power pack issue as well. I'm new to all tge boating stuff any insit into fixing the problem would be every appreciated see as how much much i already spent on the boat. Thanks guys

Would suspect debris in the carbs as well.
Word of caution here. Unless your "buddy" really knows what he is doing you two can spend a lot of money throwing parts at the engine until it runs. Think about it.
Common sense says that if you had a lot of debris in the fuel system then some made its way into the carbs.
Since the engine jumped and then started running poorly I would spend the half hour of labor at a GOOD authorized shop and let them diagnose the issue. Hint....a fly-by-night operation will just replace parts until the engine runs and feed you a line of BS along the way. An authorized shop will charge more per hour but they generally know what they are doing an have the proper test equipment as well.
No, the power pack has nothing to do with pump operation.
Yes, dirty carbs can impede flow.

Are you sure that there is no trash in the fuel pump, if the filter was full of rubber from the gas lines a small piece could have gotten into pump.

Thanks for the input.I'm just going to rebuild the carbs and inspect the fuel pump as the boat set for a couple years before I got it i believe . Any recommendations as to a website to buy the rebuild kits? And a good link to a video and or website to help me with the carbs.

Purchase OEM parts.
OEM carb kits are about the only kit that comes complete with new floats, needles and all gaskets.
Plus, OEM parts carry a one year warranty on them (usually has to be installed by an authorized dealer)
If you have an authorized dealer nearby by all means try and support them. It is pretty tough to keep the doors open these days and if you send your business to the internet that dealer may not be there one day should you eventually need him.