Newbie question / 2000 25ELH 2-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitzet

Reaction score
I just bought a 'new to me' 1448 grizzly with a 2000 25 hp 2-stroke Merc.

If it helps, the serial number is OT093029

I've been trying to find an online owners manual so I can figure out how to start the engine and what kind of gas tank I should buy (it did not come with one)! I was hoping the manual would explain the starting sequence and provide a schematic that shows all the parts, buttons, etc. (the regular user manual stuff)

I know it's silly, but I'd really like to know what I'm dealing with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey Gitzet,

I have the same motor and can help you get familiarized with yours.

First we need a little more info.

Is your motor tiller steer (handle attached to motor with twist throttle and gear shift) or remote steer? (boat has steering wheel)

If you don't get the answers you need tonight I'll revisit the post tomorrow and help you out.

I'm off to watch MNF Broncos vs. Chiefs. Gonna be a good game!

ps. That era small 2 stroke Mercs (9.9 thru 25 hp) are my absolute favorite small outboards. Your gonna love it!

It has the handle throttle with what looks like neutral, forward and reverse settings.

It has a black button on the underside of the handle (I assume that's the start)

And, a red button on the end of the handle (I assume that shuts it off)

Am I close?

I can post a pic in the morning.

Thanks

I really appreciate the help

Here's some pics!

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo M1.JPG
    photo M1.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 458
  • photoM2.JPG
    photoM2.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 458
  • photo M3.JPG
    photo M3.JPG
    402.8 KB · Views: 458
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334709#p334709 said:
Gitzet » Yesterday, 21:37[/url]"]It has the handle throttle with what looks like neutral, forward and reverse settings.

It has a black button on the underside of the handle (I assume that's the start)

And, a red button on the end of the handle (I assume that shuts it off)

Am I close?

I can post a pic in the morning.

Thanks

I really appreciate the help

Yep, you are correct on the start and stop buttons.

You have a tiller steer with electric start and pull rope start if needed. (Dead Battery).

There are a few other controls you need to be aware of:

The handle twists to engage forward and reverse gears as well as apply throttle. The farther you twist it, the more fuel you give it. You should always shift gears with a quick motion of twist. Twisting slow allows the gears to grind a bit.

The small red toggle switch near the bottom front case of the motor. Its probably labeled Run/Off. This switch is your safety lanyard switch. A small lanyard (small twisted rope with clips on each end) clips above this switch when its in the on position. The other end of the lanyard clips to you. This is designed to kill the engine in the event you should fall forward or out of the boat for some reason. (Like hitting an underwater stump or boulder.)

Primer/Idle speed knob - Just to the left of the red safety switch. Its a round switch probably labled "pull to prime".
As the name implies this switch has two functions. It adjusts your idle speed by turning it clockwise to increase idle or counter clockwise to decrease. When starting a cold engine always turn this completely clockwise for fast idle. The second function is also used to start a cold engine. You simply pull out and push in the knob several times to squirt a little fuel to the carb for starting. Leave the knob in the out position until the engine starts.

Throttle Grip friction knob. This twist knob is located on the tiller handle just behind the twist part of the handle. Its simply used to adjust the friction on the the throttle handle. When tightened (clockwise) it will hold the twist throttle open to where you desire. If you loosen the friction knob the twist throttle will simply go back to idle if you let go.

Steering Friction Adjustment. This a red lever below the primer knob and lanyard switch. It moves left to right and simply applies friction to the steering of the motor. (Helps hold steering of motor in place with less effort from you.)Move it left to increase friction and right to decrease.

The cables coming out from the motor go to a cranking battery. Not a deep cycle trolling battery. The cables serve two purposes. They carry voltage/amperage from the battery during starting (cranking the engine) and also charge the battery when engine is running. They must be connected correctly to a cranking battery before starting the engine.

This should get you a little more familiar with the controls. Feel free to ask questions if needed.

We can get into starting the motor next if you want.

Paddler,

Wow! Thanks very much for the info. It was very very helpful.

Yes! I'm interested in the 'starting the motor' steps!

I have another question though! Can the engine be trimmed up for running in shallow water? I can't figure that one out!

Thanks again!

Gitzet,

Sorry for the delay. Been a busy week!

Yes the motor has a shallow water operation position.

You must first twist the tiller handle to engage forward gear.

There is a black lever on the back of the motor just below the power head. With motor in forward gear push down on the black lever while at the same time tilting the motor up to shallow water position. Release the black lever and slowly lower the motor to its now tilted position.

To return to normal run position simply lift up on the black lever while tilting the motor slightly upward. Slowly lower the motor back to its normal position.

Remember - the motor must be in forward gear to tilt up.