1996 Evinrude 40 hp upgrades?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JL8Jeff

Reaction score
The boat I just bought has a 1996 Evinrude 40 hp E40TELEDS outboard that seems to be running well. The original owner thought it was a 97 but maybe he bought it in 97 and never realized it was a leftover 96. He thinks it has less than 250 hours on it since he only used the boat for duck hunting. Anyway, are there any mods that can be done to get a little more out of it? Is the 50 hp motor just different carbs and reeds? I was thinking about converting it to a jet so some extra power might be nice if I end up keeping the motor.

"Search" is your friend. Either here or a simple Google Search.
This has been discussed before.
Easiest thing for you to do is go to a parts breakdown and see which parts are different between your powerhead and a 50hp of the same vintage.
Not cheap unless you can source a parts engine.

I've been doing searches and either get back way too many hits that aren't specific to the 40 vs 50 or there are not many results and they usually end up leaving the original question hanging without a useful resolution. Google searches have really gotten worse and worse with all the ads everywhere. I did find the different part numbers on the carbs and yet half the search results seem to refer to them at 40-48-50 carbs and they are not the 40 hp carbs so there's lots of misinformation out there. This is really my starting point in researching if I'm better off converting my existing motor to jet or just get another motor.

Well, if you want to increase your performance you certainly do not want to convert it to jet.
Here is a link for you. Check and write down the parts that are different and you will have your answer. No mis-information on those diagrams.
On that particular engine you are not going to luck out and just change carbs...look at the cylinder and crankcase, cylinder head, etc.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1996

Thanks. I'm only looking to increase the performance to help get as much out of the jet as possible. If I convert the 40 hp to jet, I think it will be around a 28-30 hp jet. For what I will be using the boat for, I think that will be fine for me (I'm usually out on the water alone and I only go upstream and float back down). But if a somewhat simple modification can get me another 5-10 hp it might be worth doing. I'd hate to put another motor on that weighs 50-75 lb more if I don't need to.

Latest posts