New Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengray3

Reaction score
Looking for a new motor for my 14ft. Gregor. I am considering a 20hp Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki long shaft. Leaning towards the Suzuki which is the only one with fuel injection. Also want electric start, any experience with these would be helpful. Thanks Ben

Haven't had a 20HP Yamaha since two-stroke was in fashion, but two of my friends bought the Suzuki last winter/ spring and they are pleased with them.

My own Honda BF50 (2008) has injection, and since I had the previous engine from Honda with carburetor before they came out with injection, I belive I can say I would defenitely go for injection over carburetor in the future as well. I do a lot of slow speed trolling, and apart from better economy the injectionmodel never goes "sour". Even when trolling at the lowest RPMs in ice-cold water and snow it just keeps going, unike the old carburetor-version that would start to sour in the same conditions after a few hours. (It would be ok after running at a couple thousand RPMs for a few minutes though, but still...)

I personally like the Yamaha motors. Even if they are still carbureted.

I love EFI.

If there was one downside to EFI, it is repair costs. Fuel does still go sour in an EFI motor, just the same as it does in a carb'd motor. Difference being, when it goes south in a carburetor, you're out $80 if the dealer cleans the carb, or possibly up to $1000 to replace a fuel pump and injectors on an EFI engine. And it does happen. I'm currently looking at a Yamaha F115 that's been sitting for about 5 months. VST pump is done and so are the injectors, caused by fuel sitting. The owner is looking at nearly $900 in repair costs. Out of warranty. Even if it were in warranty, they would not cover it (it's not a defect).

The F20 Yamaha is pretty simple to clean a carb anyway. Usually under an hour, start to finish. The F15 and F20 are the exact same motor. The F20's carb is a little different, allowing the extra 5 HP. The dealer I work for has sold a few hundred of them. Only one has been back, and it wasn't the motor's fault (stale fuel). They are much lighter than the F25 is, and in these parts, they seem to be the sweetheart of the smaller motors. Good bit quieter in all aspects than the Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury (all made by Tohatsu) 20 HP motors. The Tohatsu seems to be a decent motor, just a little noisier than I liked. Cheaper than Yamaha though.

I advise all outboard owners that if they know the boat isn't going to be used for the next couple weeks, run the carb dry, drain the bowl (there is usually a little bit left in it), then dump the fuel out of the fuel tank, into the lawn mower or truck or whatever. Exactly why I went to a 3 gallon tank. A 6 gal tank would get "old" long before I ever used it (3 gal does too in my case). In my case it's a lot easier to dump 2 gal of fuel into the mower than it is to dump 5 gal out of the 6 gal tank. And the 3 gal tank takes up a lot less space in the boat. And cheaper to fill when I am ready to go fishin'.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334945#p334945 said:
turbotodd » 20 Nov 2013, 18:45[/url]"]I personally like the Yamaha motors. Even if they are still carbureted.

I love EFI.

If there was one downside to EFI, it is repair costs. Fuel does still go sour in an EFI motor, just the same as it does in a carb'd motor. Difference being, when it goes south in a carburetor, you're out $80 if the dealer cleans the carb, or possibly up to $1000 to replace a fuel pump and injectors on an EFI engine. And it does happen. I'm currently looking at a Yamaha F115 that's been sitting for about 5 months. VST pump is done and so are the injectors, caused by fuel sitting. The owner is looking at nearly $900 in repair costs. Out of warranty. Even if it were in warranty, they would not cover it (it's not a defect).

The F20 Yamaha is pretty simple to clean a carb anyway. Usually under an hour, start to finish. The F15 and F20 are the exact same motor. The F20's carb is a little different, allowing the extra 5 HP. The dealer I work for has sold a few hundred of them. Only one has been back, and it wasn't the motor's fault (stale fuel). They are much lighter than the F25 is, and in these parts, they seem to be the sweetheart of the smaller motors. Good bit quieter in all aspects than the Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury (all made by Tohatsu) 20 HP motors. The Tohatsu seems to be a decent motor, just a little noisier than I liked. Cheaper than Yamaha though.

I advise all outboard owners that if they know the boat isn't going to be used for the next couple weeks, run the carb dry, drain the bowl (there is usually a little bit left in it), then dump the fuel out of the fuel tank, into the lawn mower or truck or whatever. Exactly why I went to a 3 gallon tank. A 6 gal tank would get "old" long before I ever used it (3 gal does too in my case). In my case it's a lot easier to dump 2 gal of fuel into the mower than it is to dump 5 gal out of the 6 gal tank. And the 3 gal tank takes up a lot less space in the boat. And cheaper to fill when I am ready to go fishin'.

i have a 14 ft gregor with remote steering, it has a 20hp tohatsu w power trim with short shaft
yours must have a taller transom to need a long shaft, didnt know gregor made different height transoms. but they are a tuff boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=335017#p335017 said:
tigfisher » 21 Nov 2013, 18:02[/url]"]i have a 14 ft gregor with remote steering, it has a 20hp tohatsu w power trim with short shaft
yours must have a taller transom to need a long shaft, didnt know gregor made different height transoms. but they are a tuff boat.

Gregor makes a 15 and 20 in. transom, in the old days the 20 was called a Baja special.

ahh yes, they do make different height transoms...but like i said they are a tuff boat as you can see in this pic.
its a long story of who did what on how the trailer fell off the hitch, but all i remember is my boat passing me and disappearing into a ditch, and only the boat poping up on the other side. good thing nobody got hurt.
the next weekend i took the boat out....and not a single leak. as i said..tuff boat it is.

securedownload14-1.jpg

Latest posts