Need help adjusting this throttle- please see pics!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsweber82

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently posted about getting what I thought was a low top speed (10mph) out of a Mercury 110 9.8hp on a 14ft jon. It doesn't look like I am getting much at all out of my throttle so would like some help and feedback on whether this looks right, and if not how to adjust. I am not sure where to adjust because of the limiter on the bottom. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Throttle 1.JPG
    Throttle 1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 591
  • Throttle 2.JPG
    Throttle 2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 591
Okay I have to ask, you do have it in gear right? If it's in neutral you won't get full throttle.

Yes, it is in fwd in these pictures. I did just notice that in reverse the throttle stopper moves and allows me to reach WOT! Obviously this is backwards. Any idea how I can fix this? Could I just take the stopper out completely?

If by "throttle stopper" you mean the screw and lock nut that adjust your max throttle, I wouldn't remove it completely, but rather just adjust it out until you get full travel of the linkage or the carb butterfly is fully open. Just be aware that the butterfly can be fully open before the linkage has reached max travel on some models so you only want to adjust it until the butterfly is fully open.

Mike,

Im referring to the piece circled at the bottom that limits how far you can twist the tiller in FWD and Neutral,(not the adjustment screws at the top) but when you put in Reverse, the stopper moves out of the way so you can twist the tiller to full throttle. I think that whole mechanism is in the backwards somehow.

I've had a 66 and a 75 model merc, but I can't remember enough about that throttle setup to help you from memory. It does sound like something has gotten switched around though if yours is restricting throttle when it's in forward but not in reverse. Your best bet would probably be to get a factory service manual and go through the adjustments for the throttle. Sorry it took so long to reply but I've been out of town on a hunting trip. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help. I will definitely get the manual. I took out the restrictor all together to see if that was making a difference. I did get the top speed up to about 13mph consistently. This was wide open throttle so I guess that is the best i will get. It was only me in the boat and very minimal additional weight (battery and gallon of gas). Does this speed seem right for this set up?

The boats weight and the drivers weight can make a lot of difference in top speed. You might be able to get minor improvements by adjusting prop height, motor tilt, and by moving the weight in the boat (battery/fuel) around for a better balance.