newbie tracker topper 1542 motor size question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassin

Reaction score
im thinking of getting a tracker topper 1542. i already have a 40hp evinrude jet and steering console to add to a boat. i will extend the transom of the tracker topper 1542 up to 22" before i put the 40hp evinrude jet on. the tracker topper 1542 is rated a max of 25hp? will this work? i dont ever plan on running it wide open just wanted to save some money by using a motor i already have. thanks

I have a 60/40 evinrude on a 16' 42" that's rated for 25hp. No problems so far. I originally had a 40/28hp evinrude on it. It sat in the water just fine with it. It doesn't set to bad with the 60hp but you can tell there's a little more motor back there. But it sure is fast. :mrgreen:

This should be interesting……………………………………………….. :popcorn:

Personal I like a few extra ponies but I don’t know chit about jets. It’s more about the weight on the transom than anything else. I don’t think 15 HP above max on a 1542 is going to be a big deal. I’m running a 115HP on a 1752 I did beef up the transom and add float pods.

The safety police will be here soon and tell you all about how you won’t be able to get insurance “If you plan on insuring your 15ft Jon boat” and how they are going to through you under the jail if you catch you with a motor that's bigger than what the boat is rated for.

Good luck with your build.

i thought of the idea of adding some foam and float pods if i end up doing this. thanks for the help

Latest posts