Mounting a portable outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i have a question.I just bought a brand new outboard,i have a 1436 crestliner jon boat i put it on.I'm just curious,it says to bolt it on the transom,i have never once bolted an outboard on any transom,it says there is a good chance it can come off,i have never once had one come off when in use.

Has anyone had one come off?What are the chances of it ever coming off it's on there extremely tight?I have never actually heard of one coming off a boat,so what is the chances,i would think near nill if it's tight.Just fig i would ask for other peoples input on this,thanks.

My father-n-law has a 25 hp bolted on to his 16 foot deep-v aluminum row boat. Ten years later, he ended up also buying a 14 footer with a 9.9 to fish horsepower restricted lakes.

Yep although I have never lost one I have heard from numerous people that have enough so that although I haven't bolted mine on I do use a safety cable.

The bolts are also a theft deterent. An outboard that's just clamped on is fairly easy to steal, add in the bolts, and it takes longer than the thief is comfortable standing in one spot. If you don't want to bolt it down, the safety cable option isn't bad.

Roger

Hey not trying to be funny,but if they steal my whole rig or motor,let them have it,i won't be upset a bit,i have $6000 ins on it.I will actually make out better.I'm not stupid though,i do have safety locks on the motor,plus i run cables through the wheel wells so if they decide to go rolling they won't go very far.

The thing is,if they want it bad enough they will get it,i'm not worried though,i sleep very good at night with ins.

You know what gets me,i see tons of ads on craigslist that say,$1000 reward for like a small outboard that was stolen like mine,but they won't spend $300 a yr for ins,i say huh,that makes a whole lot of sense.They could of paid for over 3yrs of ins instead of having nothing now and trying to give someone a $1000 reward,One thing my dad tells me,no disrespect to anyone but common sense just isn't common anymore.

Why would someone not have ins on a fairly new boat,motor and trailer,or even a used one.That just mind boggles me.

It's so cheap and you have nothing to worry about if it does get stolen.

I have a total cost of $6000 on my boat,motor and trailer,$1000 on any fishing equipment getting stolen,that means anything at all boat related,best part is i have a low $250 deductible on it,except if a hurricane or flood hits it and destroys it,that's a $500 deductable.It's through progressive.

Latest posts