1996 evinrude 70 hp Advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-coaltrain-

Reaction score
Hey fellas, was looking to get some advice here. Im looking to upgrade motors here soon (hopefully before Spring). I currently have a 2001 30hp Evinrude 4 stroke on a 1756 Lowe Roughneck rated for an 80 hp. My mechanic shot me a quote on a 96' Evinrude 2 stroke 70 hp with a rebuilt powerhead and lower unit, installed and rigged with a 1 year warranty...$2400. To me it seems fair for the work, but im not too sure about the motor. Has anyone ever owned a motor similar to this? Pros? Cons? thanks in andvance, Chris

Edited title. Sorry thought I noted hp. It should get up and scoot pretty good after that much upgrade. :lol:

Ran a 70 horse 3cyl Johnson of about the same vintage for about 15 years on a 2060 work boat. Did surprisingly well until it dropped a cylinder in the middle of the river. Had to replace the powerpack more than once but no major issues. Smoked like a chimney!

Thanks guys for the replies... much appreciated. I'm already expecting the louder, smokier ride of a two stroke, but the power gain is worth it I think. With my 30 horse evinrude 4 stroke, I barely push 19ish with a tailwind and completely empty, no one else on board. Im planning on building a 10 gallon tank in the center console, but was concerned if 10 gallons would last me all day fishing the marshes and bays down here. anyway I know this motor will last me a long time if I take care of it.. I just want something reliable without shelling out 10 k for a new motor. plus parts are cheaper too

Those engines started life in OMC in 1968 and evolved many times along the way. They are extremely reliable if used with common sense. The 49Cu. In. engines were used for years in E Production and E Sport racing and Merc had nothing for them - ever! We ran those engines routinely over 7000rpm whether it be an enduro or a normal closed course race. Simply could not kill them!
I just found a complete 75hp powerhead for a 49CI engine on the back of my 15' Whaler. Will go through it and bolt it on in place of the current 60hp powerhead currently on it. Should be fun.

Thanks for the reply man. That's exactly what i am looking for. Something that i can rely on and is easy to repair when needed, and will last me years. I was quoted 1350 for a new trim assembly on that 30hp i have because that particular year model wasn't rebuild able. Shoot for that much I'll just go with the reman 70. There's tons of videos on YouTube that shows that thing is a beast!

Sorry for some reason I was not able to watch the video. It says cannot view because of licensing issues.??

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336407#p336407 said:
-coaltrain- » 23 minutes ago[/url]"]Sorry for some reason I was not able to watch the video. It says cannot view because of licensing issues.??

I just watched it without issue. Hmmmm.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336411#p336411 said:
-coaltrain- » 25 minutes ago[/url]"]Must be this stupid smart phone. I'll check it out at the house.

Stupid Smartphone.......now there's an oxymoron! :LOL2:

man nice video. Those things haul some serious a$$. Good sample of what those outboards can do. Im sold on them now. Thanks bud

Latest posts