Installing factory trim on OMC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
I picked up a non running 1984 2 cyl 60HP Johnson today. :D Same basic engine as the 40 and 50 hp. I want to install the trim on my running 1985 60hp. Is this a big job? Do I have to remove the engine or will the parts bolt up under neat. Would it be best to swap the entire center section? Any advise appreciated because I can't tell much just from looking at an online parts breakdown.

It's turning out to be very simple. A bracket bolts to the motor and connects to the top of the lift arms. The lift arms and motor bolt right on the bottom of the stock transom bracket. Literally a 10 minute swap. To install the factory trim switch on the throttle you must swap the throttle arm out. Not hard if you have taken throttle assembly's apart before but you basically split it open and unbolt the arm and make sure stuff stays lined up when you bolt it back together.

Odd thing is that OMC use a solenoid pack for the trim switches on the larger motors that take the same trim unit and no solenoids on the 60. Enough current can go thru the trim switch because of the light motor but you can hear it struggle. If the battery is not fully charged it won't even move. Retrofitting to solenoids is the way to fix the inherent problem. Of course parts like new trim switch and the solenoid box are unavailable as new parts but a couple of standard automotive solenoids are is what the factory used so I picked up a couple and some nice connectors to do it up right. This will give the trim motor full current when I hit the switch.

The other very odd thing is the way the cylinders operate. One is powered full stroke for full lift and one is powered only a few inches for trim. I tested it when it was apart and was sure it was broken. Not the case this is just how they work. Go figure. I hate dead end threads when I search so I thought I'd add what I found.

Latest posts