Winterization

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Curious if there is anything more I should be doing to my outboard during these colder months. The longest my boat will sit during the winter is a month. Which is the time frame I'm in right now. Next Saturday duck/goose season opens back up and I'll have it out most every weekend through mid-March. I have a 1994 50/35 Johnson Jet with a newly rebuilt powerhead. I currently use marine stabil in every tank of gas, along with a slightly richer oil/gas mixture due to the engine just coming out of the break-in period and the colder weather. Is there anything I'm missing? The winters here aren't horrible, but currently we have about a foot of snow on the ground and highs in the low 30's for at least the next week.

a bit of seafoam never hurts along with the stabil for some peace of mind, imo anyways.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336315#p336315 said:
TNtroller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm[/url]"]a bit of seafoam never hurts along with the stabil for some peace of mind, imo anyways.
+1

Since my boats since idle much more than I prefer, I use it on a regular basis. If the boat has not been used for a a couple weeks or longer and there is some gas in the tank and I don't need to get any, I will add seafoam to the existing gas before I leave the house. Just follow the directions on amt to add, but I usually add a bit more for peace of mind again versus possibly having a rough running motor on the trip.

i take the plugs out, spray in some fogging oil, work the pull cord a couple times slowly, spray fogging oil everywhere, put plugs back, put cover on, take battery out and hook up charger, cover boat. pour gas into ATV or generator.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336771#p336771 said:
lovedr79 » 21 minutes ago[/url]"]i take the plugs out, spray in some fogging oil, work the pull cord a couple times slowly, spray fogging oil everywhere, put plugs back, put cover on, take battery out and hook up charger, cover boat. pour gas into ATV or generator.

Thanks. Good advice, but I only leave my boat sitting for a week or two at a time all winter. Just curious if there was anything else I should be doing during the short period my motor is siting idle in sub-freezing temperatures.

Winterization not needed if the boat never sits for more than 2 weeks. Just follow normal maintenance procedures. Your a lucky man, wish mine was used all year like that but water gets too hard around here.

On mine I
disconnect fuel line
drain carbs or use stabil
drain lower unit oil, put in fresh come spring
fog cylinders
check plugs, add neverseize
put battery on auto maintainer
remove prop and clean / grease

Tim

Thanks Earl!! Was just looking for confirmation that I didn't need to do anything beyond my normal routine.

Yes, it's nice to be able to get out all year, but it can be pretty rough running up river at 4:30 in the morning with air temps in the teens. By the time waterfowl season is drawing to an end, I'm more than ready for the nasty hot days of summer on the boat.