1980 35hp Evinrude Run/Tilt Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duurmeehr

Reaction score
I have a 1980 35hp Evinrude E35ELCSM. Last week the run/tilt lever shaft broke where it clamps in the dog. I ordered a new one and replaced it and now I can tilt the motor again like before but I don't understand the operation.

With the lever in one direction the motor is loose and will rest on the shallow water bracket when picked up a little or will tilt and lock all the way up. In the other direction it will latch down.

I thought that in the direction opposite "tilt" that the motor would be loose when I have it in forward and locks in place when I have it in reverse. My motor appears to be locked all the time whether in forward or reverse. All the components appear to be there but you can't lift the motor in forward or neutral unless you move the run/tilt lever then it picks up and latches in place.

It is a remote operation control.

I can't even figure out how the mechanism tells whether it is in forward or reverse to lock or unlock the thing. I don't see anything that attaches the mechanism to the shift mechanism.

Latest posts