20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
Well i was waiting on a prop i ordered,i just got it today and i'm going to test it out tom all day at a local lake by me.I'm so darn excited,i feel like a kid in a candy store.

I'm going to run full tests on my 1436 crestliner jon boat.

I have the standard 10pitch prop on it now and i just got my 11pitch prop,it's a solas armita,aluminum.
I'm going to test how smooth it runs overall to,but i don't think it will be very smooth till i get some good runtime on it.
I'm going to test over all wot speed with both props.
I'm going to test how many seconds it takes to get to wot speed with both props.
I'm going to test wot with one person,then with 2 with both props.
I'm going to test how long it take to get to 20+mph on both props.
Then last i will see how many seconds it takes to get to full plane with both props.
Oh and how much gas it burns while i'm doing all this.

I think i covered it all,if i 'm missing anything please someone chime in.

Sorry i have been so sick,i can't shake it.I'm slowly feeling better.I just got my 11 pitch prop a couple weeks ago.As soon as i feel good i promise you i will give you all the stats.I am aiming for this monday.I should be good by then i hope.I will do all the tests with the 10p first then with the 11p.Plus i have also been doing a lot of reading on breakin before i make a mistake,i went to a local suzuki dealer in my area as well as my local yamaha and merc dealer i have known for yrs.I know most people say to follow the manual,this is not a debate or an attempt to argue with anyone,i'm just telling you what these certified mechanics told me.

They said which suprised me,all you need to do is use it as you normally would,just don't hammer it down for a really long period of time in the first hr or 2.The worst thing you can do is idle it in the first couple hrs.Make sure you warm it up for at least 3-5min and just go.I said what about what the manual says,they told me that is just a recommendation and nothing more.Plus it's so outdated,technology has changed in the past 20 or so yrs which means that the manual needs to be updated as well.Most people are scared to do it any other way because they believe their warranty will be voided,thats a 100%myth.

So that's what i'm going to do,vary the rpms up and down and don't be afraid to open it all the way up they said.They told me after even an hr or 2 if you want have at it and fly everywhere you go if you please.That makes me feel at ease.The manual just doesn't make sense to me,what i mean is how can a 4stroke,2stroke, or any outboard they make have the exact same breakin schedule,they told me that 4stroke takes more pressure to seat the rings then a 2stroke which i researched and found to be true,that is why they say the only way to seat the rings right is ride it,don't baby it.They told me you can follow the manual and may never have an issue,but if you ride it and put pressure on the rings you will know for sure the rings will seat right and you won't ever have to worry about the outboard making oil.The 2 issues they see is the motor making oil by not breaking it in hard enough to seat the rings or from extended trolling.There is so many facts and evidence to back this up,i found thousands of posts with this very issue.

I believe what they say because there is a ton of evidence to back what they say.I can't wait to open it up monday and i hope i get that 25-28mph reading i'm hoping for.Like i said this is just what i'm going to do,everyone does it the way they feel is right and their comfortable with.

Update!!!!Sorry still very sick and it's going to be 41 degrees for the hi here in my area in fl.The wind is blowing 20-30mph,it's just to nasty and i just can't shake this nasty flu.As soon as i get better and the weather is good i will go out.Thanks for being patient. :(

Thanks,lovedr79,it's so weird the sickness my whole family has.I can't even explain it.I thought it was allergies but all of us in the house are sick.We don't have a fever or sore throat or any normal symptoms.I just believe it's a relentless cold that just doesn't want to go away.I feel like crap in the night and morning but once all the mucus and phlegm comes out i feel somewhat clear,sorry not trying to be gross.Then it just repeats itself all over again everyday since christmas time.We all just can't seem to shake it.I guess it just needs to run it's long course before it completely goes away.

Well i'm finally feeling a bit better and the wind and temps seem to want to work with me tom so i'm going to try and get out tom and work the engine.

Looking forward to your results.
If you have wind or current at play, be sure to take the average of two runs made in opposite directions in quick succession.

Well i thought i was getting better and woke up sick again,this thing is just lingering.A lot of people here are sick and have been for many weeks.I just have to wait this out till i'm not sick anymore.I'm running it in a small lake so current and wind won't come into play unless the wind is really blowing like 30mph+.The lake is mostly protected by houses and trees from the wind.As soon as i get completely better i will update you guys and then i will go out for sure.This is really making me mad with this sickness.

I promise as soon as i get better i will go run all the tests.I'm going to run it with one person in the boat and hopefully 2 to see how much of a drop off the power is if much at all.If i had to guess i think with one person in the boat i think i can get near 30mph but that is just a pure guess.I saw a guy on youtube who has a inflatable,with this 20hp,i believe he works for suzuki or does some testing for suzuki,i'm not sure.

His video was with a 11pitch prop and a 12pitch prop,to his amazement the outcome was exactly the same.With no load in the boat besides himself he ran at 48.5kph with both props=30.1365028mph.

The only difference was he ran at 5950rpms with the 12pitch and 6300 with the 11pitch.
6300 is the very max the motor is suppose to run so i guess you can't get any better then that.The recommended rpm is between 5300-6300 so to be at exactly 6300 is awesome and the speed is unreal.30mph in a small jon boat or inflatable is extremely fast,when i had my 1442 alumacraft with my 25hp 2stroke merc it topped out at 30-31mph and i will tell you i think maybe 10% of the time we were touching water,lol.That's how scary fast we were going.If it had wings we probally would of flew.

The thing i hear from so many people on a ton of forums is that 4stroke boat motors are not designed to run at there full rpm max all the time,that couldn't be so far from the truth.Run that motor like you stole it as it won't hurt a thing.They wouldn't put the rpm max at 6300 if it would hurt it.I run darn near wot 85%of the time unless it's really rough out or i'm in a no wake zone.That to me is the best thing for it,not only will it keep the motor clean from carbon build up but it will run hot which gives it no chance for it to make oil,4stroke outboards make oil for 2 reasons,they troll all the time and never open the throttle up and condensation builds up in the outboard then gets into the oil or the rings are not properly set in the very beginning of breakin.You have very little time to breakin the rings right so it's very critical to open the throttle up from the first time you ever put it in the water.

Forgot to mention,this motor is so easy to do maintenance on also.Very simple to do to the water pump impeller,pull the plugs,change the oil and filter,change the lower unit oil.Save yourself a ton of money and just do it yourself if you decide to buy this motor after i put stats up and you like what you see.Plus you can use what oils you want,i only use full synthetic oils in the engine and lower unit after say the 20hr oil change,that is plenty of time for the motor to break in.I use royal purple marine oil for the engine and for the lower unit.

Thanks for all the updates and info, that flu bug went through are house like wild fire, nasty stuff.

Ok i'm starting realize this is not going away so i called in some antibiotics.I believe this is a bit worse then the flu or common cold,it can't hurt to try one round of antibiotics.It's just so persistent,it just won't go away and when it feels like it's getting better,wham here it comes again.One of the biggest issues i have is 2 blood disorders that is so serious that i have to get chemo therapy for it so the chemo suppresses my immune system,i get a reg cold or cough and it turns deadly if i don't treat it.The bad part is i actually have to let it turn into a bacterial infection for the antibiotics to work or there useless.It's a pain in the butt but i have to deal with it.

If i don't act now it will turn into pneumonia,i just got over this same thing in july of 13.It's a crappy way to live but at least i'm alive,lol.

Thanks,i just got a round of antibiotics so i will see if they work,if not it's just a nasty lingering cough and cold and it will have to go away on it's own.

Latest posts