New 15hp motor Nissan/Tohatsu or Suzuki?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGoat

Reaction score
I'm looking to find a different motor before the spring fishing season starts. I would prefer to buy a nice used motor but haven't found much and in the event I don't find something by the time I get my tax return I'll buy new. I've narrowed it down to either a 15hp Nissan/Tohatsu (same motor just different hood) or the 15hp Suzuki EFI. The Suzuki is about $400 more but I like the idea of having EFI. The 15hp Mercury is also the same motor as the Nissan/Tohatsu with the exception of the Mercury having throttle twist shift instead of lever shift. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. Honda and Yamaha while both being good motors are out due to cost.

Comments or suggestions on either motor?

No comment on a 15. I am very pleased with my 4.

I known Cincy has a Tohatsu dealer. Which brand is better supported in your part of the state?

Mercury is by far the most abundant motor around here but the 2 Marinas near where I normally fish both service/sell Suzuki. The Nissan/Tohatsu is the same motor as the Mercury so service wouldn't be an issue there either. I went to college for auto tech and do all my own work anyhow so unless there is a warranty claim the motor will never go to a marina.

You don't mention how much more $ the Merc with shifter on the tiller is, more than $400? Have read numerous comments on how handy that feature is.

The Merc is about $400-500 more. I currently have a 9.9 Mercury with the twist shift and although a nice feature I don't think it's worth the extra money. I believe the new Suzukis have the shifter on the end of the tiller handle but not sure exactly how it works since I haven't seen one in person and can't find any videos showing it being used.

Latest posts