Need help getting my Johnson 9.9 hp running

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott06z71

Reaction score
My motor is a 1974 Johnson 9.9 hp. It quit running and I can't get it started. I don't have a spark tester so I pulled spark plugs one at a time with them connected held them with pliers close to block while my wife pulled starter rope and both had spark. (It was at night) I rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, replaced gas hoses on motor, replaced hose from tank to motor with new primer bulb, new gas tank. (Old one had a split). Compression is 125 on both cylinders. Also replaced the spark plugs. I'm thinking next points and condenser. I would appreciate any advice. Also need tips on removing the flywheel. Do I need a special tool? This is a pull rope start. Little history I have only had this boat about 5 months only had it out a few times, the motor never would plain the boat it would bogg down at full throttle. The motor stopped running before I did all the above work. With it being old and new to me figured it needed that done anyway.

Thanks for the advice on pulling flywheel. I will try to start it again tomorrow and then pull plugs and see if they are wet and let you know.

Latest posts