jet outboard info needed.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amk

Reaction score
I have a 1648 alumacraft mod v sierra model hull with a 15 inch transom and I had pods added and it has a hydraulic jack plate.

Im looking at putting a jet on it Thinking something like the yamaha 60/40 and have a side console added up front. Every jet I see though are only 20" shafts why is that and would a jet not work on a 15" transom. With the jack plate I could crank the thing up to make it sit at 20". Also I don't have a tunnel but i would have one fabricated for the boat.

Need opinions on this idea of mine and thoughts on how it would run and speeds etc. The boat is riveted so its fairly light and currently my 20 hp SEHA yamaha pushes it about 25-26 empty.

also i live on the texas coast I primarily run the colorado river which is sandy/rocky and the bays which are sandy/muddy I currently have a mud boat (35hp GTR) and with it I can run the river which is mostly 3-8" deep but I go through props so I would like to sale it and get a jet. My understanding and from watching youtube videos is a jet can go through that no problem and not wear the impeller as fast?

ok does anyone know another site that I can find people who have owned one to get an answer. I see in the jet section some similar post but not exactly what im looking for.

Did you honestly expect to have all the answers to your questions in that short of time and on new years day? I'm going to guess that having such a low level of patience, that you don't fish and you don't use forums much. :lol: I'm sure that you'll get some answers but you may have to wait until the right people get back from spending time with their families.

Contact the folks at outboard jets, they make the kits everyone runs and ask them your motor question.

https://www.outboardjets.com/index.php

Per your running in 3-8" of water I'm not sure you'll be doing that well with an O/B jet unless you are only talking about some short stretches. An O/B jet needs some depth to get on plane, usually around 8-12" on a light weight hull.

I don't any other site that really caters to shallow running. Riversmallies.com is pretty much dead anymore and bass boat central has a bunch of small penis members.

Well there's deep spots to plane out in but a lot of shallows in between

Your right no patience that's why I gig :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 570
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 570
You could look for an older short shaft jet which is the 15" shaft. I picked up a mid 90's Mercuery 60/45 jet 15" shaft for my Lowe 1652 but my boat has a 20-22" transom and the jet tunnel already so you might still need the jackplate to get a short shaft jet up behind the tunnel once you put one in.

I'd really like a new one I guess I could always build up my transom

A jet is useless in anything but rocky bottom waterways. In muddy areas, typically you'll spend some time lifting the foot out of the water to let the leaves and debris off of the intake.

Sand wears impellers and sleeves. Quickly. Goes right through them, but wears 'em out quicker than anything. They're pretty common around here with the 2 famous trout streams. Some guys I know bought a jet to run in flooded timber/mud bottom and they hated them and went back to a prop drive. I've run on in sandy bottom river in the past and found that they tend to suck some sand up off of the bottom, more at lower speeds.

Depending on how your jack plate is setup, you could raise the motor up 5" and it would work. Otherwise, you would need to raise your transom 5". Speed will probably be in the 25-27 mph range with a 60/40. With a light riveted boat, you will be able to run in 6" easily if the boat is setup right and runs level. I wouldn't worry about a tunnel if I were you. You would have probably got more response if you would have posted in the jet boat section.

Scott

Latest posts