6 hp Evenrude questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoldy

Reaction score
I have a line on a 6hp Evenrude, fuel tank, and hose. Have not looked at it, yet. He thinks it's an '83. I found reference to model years '84-'01, and another ''65-'93(shruging shoulders) He just spent $400 on it. He wants an extra $50. He has reciets. I'm assuming just top end work. I know to look for leakage at the seal, water pump output, compression, condition of nuts, bolts, and screws for dissassembly, and of course overall appearence. What are the chances of finding impellers, water pump, that seal or grommet that may be at the top of a water tube going to the power head? Are there any specific problems with these models? And I would talk to his service guy first to see if he saw anything he didn't like. Thanks in advance.

An early 80's 6HP Evinrude is a darn good motor.

When evaluating it, take along a compression tester and a spark tester. You can do the tests in five minutes and it will tell you a LOT about the motor.

And make sure he starts it up and runs it for you. As long as it has good compression, good spark, and starts/run without any clear issues .... buy it!

I think you are saying he wants $450 for the motor. That's actually a decent price, but of course, offer way less and see what happens.

Here is a good video on how to test for spark and compression.

[youtube]eSmNMWTDtZE[/youtube]

Knowing nothing about nothing; If I came across a guy selling a motor he just put 400 dollars into; I would back away, why would you sell a motor you put that much money into, uless it needed even more work. Then again he may just need the money. Sorry, just my opinion and I'm not a real trusting sort. :|

P.S. I don't mind old boats, but I like new motors!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338672#p338672 said:
simbelle » 24 minutes ago[/url]"]Knowing nothing about nothing; If I came across a guy selling a motor he just put 400 dollars into; I would back away, why would you sell a motor you put that much money into, uless it needed even more work. Then again he may just need the money. Sorry, just my opinion and I'm not a real trusting sort. :|

P.S. I don't mind old boats, but I like new motors!

That's exactly why its important to check compression, spark, and make sure it starts.

Lots of folks throw money at a motor trying to fix a simple little problem .... then, like you said, they just get frustrated and want to unload it.

You can get some ridiculously good deals on motors that people think are shot ..... do some simple repairs ... and have a great running motor for next to nothing.

I know for a fact that there are good deals to be had from people that give up on motors for what ever reason. But at the same time, I would also be thinking like simbelle on this one. And because of that, I'd want to know more about the motor than it runs smooth, has good compression/spark. I would have to take that one out on the river/lake and give it a full function and operational check.

Yup, doing a full on-water test is certainly the best way to go.

But its pretty rare that someone selling a 30 year old 6 HP outboard for $400 is going to take the time and effort to do that. Its usually just a cash and carry type of deal.

I sold an identical motor last fall for $400. I had it sitting on a stand and ran it for the guy who bought it. I gave him plenty of time to inspect the motor and ask any questions he wanted. But there is no way I was gonna put it on a boat, trailer it to a lake, launch it, and run it around .... all with a perfect stranger. It wouldn't have been worth my time.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=338684#p338684 said:
JMichael » 14 Jan 2014, 18:24[/url]"]I know for a fact that there are good deals to be had from people that give up on motors for what ever reason. But at the same time, I would also be thinking like simbelle on this one. And because of that, I'd want to know more about the motor than it runs smooth, has good compression/spark. I would have to take that one out on the river/lake and give it a full function and operational check.

Yeah, I agree. Last night, after looking at the price of shafts and gears, I can't tell the condition of that stuff without breaking it down, I talked myself out of it. We are so close to the gulf that I'm sure it has seen salt water. It's only a 6 horse and those little gears are STILL expensive! The cable throttle scared me, too. Couldn't find those anywhere. The cable is probably good now but I can see that it could become a problem. I think I'll wait a bit, throw some more money in the pot, and pull the trigger on a nice, new 15 horse. But it would still be fun ripping into an old outboard. I haven't rebuilt a motor since I was young, and never an outboard.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Almost all service parts, including the throttle cable, are still available from BRP. They rarely fail. Those engines were not prone to needing the grommet under the powerhead.
As has been mentioned, those engines are just about bulletproof.
Do your checks that have been suggested and buy the engine if your checks turn out.

Latest posts