Taking off motor to paint boat.... Need pointers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txninja

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to take off my 70hp Force from my 17' starcraft. It is steering, has electric start, and power tilt and trim.
Wires- Do I just cut them and splice them back together?
Steering Cable?
Fuel line will be easy, it has a disconnect.

Thanks in advance for the advice. =D>

-Austin

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339171#p339171 said:
txninja » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:25 pm[/url]"]
Wires- Do I just cut them and splice them back together?

NO! - there should be a disconnect under the cowling, or at the control box

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339171#p339171 said:
txninja » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:25 pm[/url]"]

Steering Cable?

Take the small nut/bolt off the end of steering rod and then loosen the large nut on the starboard side until it comes free of the bracket. The cable will likely not come all the way out of the bracket until you unbolt the motor and move it slightly to port.

You should be able to disconnect everything - DO NOT cut any wires, use the disconnects as was stated above.

I am against painting an aluminum boat - nothing harmful about it but just seems like my time could be better spent elsewhere. The beauty about a tin boat is that you do not need to paint them for protection - it is only for aesthetic reasons.

But if you must - TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS OF THE ENGINE REMOVAL PROCESS - it might seem simple (and it is) but a few good photos can make reassembly a breeze

BTW - that engine is fairly heavy so you will likely need to use an engine lift of some other mechanic method to pull it and then store it

Thanks guys... I will not be cutting wires. Haha.---- Good advice on taking pictures!

I am painting the boat to camo it so I can kill ducks. The motor is mainly coming off so I can flip the boat over and steel flex it.

Latest posts