1989 Mariner 5M

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SF Flats Fisher

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, although I've been crawling around the forums for quite awhile gazing at everyone's creations.

I've run into a problem in my search to find parts for my 5HP Mariner. I know for a fact that it is a 1989 Mariner 5M, Serial number 6E3-S-159603. It's a manual start, short shaft outboard.

My brother gave me it for free(Score!) because he got it in a deal. It pretty needs much the whole recoil starter assembly minus the Starter Sheave (What the cord wraps around). It also needs a gear shift lever, which seem to be out of stock everywhere, and last but not least a carb rebuild probably would not hurt.

I've been told that this motor is a carbon copy of the 1989 Yamaha 4SF. However I wasn't too sure if the parts were interchangeable, all the schematics look about the same. I figured I'd come here and see what anyone else had to say.

Thanks,

SF Flats Fisher.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.JPG
    IMG_1962.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 858
WVfishnfool said:
Did you try any Mercury dealers. I think they have parts for the Mariners.

Yeah I've tried Mercury dealers and none of them can get the gear shift lever. It's discontinued I assume. I wanted to know if the 1989 Yamaha 4SF and the 1989 Mariner 5M are compatible with each other as far as swapping parts. It looks identical in schematics, and I've been told several times that the 80s Mariner motors were carbon copies of Yamahas. Yamaha has all the parts for the 4SF in stock, so I'd order it from them if theyre compatible, just dont want to waste my money.

I haven't had any experience with the Yamaha 4-stroke or the Mariner in that year model. Afraid I can't be any help. What about a local machine shop could they repair the one you have or maybe fabricate one for you?

WVfishnfool said:
I haven't had any experience with the Yamaha 4-stroke or the Mariner in that year model. Afraid I can't be any help. What about a local machine shop could they repair the one you have or maybe fabricate one for you?

I haven't looked into that, that's a good idea though. I assume it'll be a little pricey, but probably stronger than anything I could buy. The one that is on the motor now broke off inside the casing pretty much, I was lucky enough to be able to stick a flathead in there and turn it into neutral so I could test run it. I'll have to call around.

Latest posts