Do I really need a reverse??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lswoody

Reaction score
I'm planning to get an outboard for my 14' Jon boat this spring. And wanting something in the 3-5 hp range with a built in gas tank. I know a lot of these mtrs. have only forward and neutral. I will mainly be running lines on the river for cats and doing some rod/reel fishing too. Do ya'll really think a reverse gear is needed?? Thanks!!

Some of the non-reversing motors will spin 360 degrees allowing you to go backwards. I would prefer a motor that has reverse.

IMO it's not mandatory for most, but it sure is extremely useful for most of us and a lot of us probably feel like we can't get by without it. :lol:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341388#p341388 said:
Captain Ahab » 10 Feb 2014, 07:24[/url]"]I think in a river setting you really want reverse - otherwise you may end up doing the down current circle

I can only speak for my river, but no reverse could equal boat damage or harming ones self. I HAVE to have reverse.

My father in law always said, "if you are so close to the bank that you need reverse you probably are to close to start the motor".

I surely did not buy one when I bought my Tohatsu 3.5 and I have not missed it. We use it on a 14/48 tinnie with 600 pounds of lard in the boat and love it.

A motor with reverse is nice to have. My previous motor a 2hp Mariner did not have a reverse or a neutral. I found it difficult to move around in tight spaces. I have a 2011 Tohatsu 4hp on my 14ft boat now and I can't go without a reverse now. If going for a used motor from 3 - 6 hp most older motors don't have a neutral as well. Just somthing to consider when selecting a motor.

I had a 3HP on a 1236 jon boat. The motor didn't have a reverse, so I bought a cheap used trolling motor for reverse.

I did the same on my 12', 3.5 just has neutral and forward, I have a troller for reverse. The waters I fish I don't need reverse though.

In a small motor like that, reverse gear doesn't provide much...'reverse'.

The ones that spin around give full power in reverse. They also don't have shift mechanisms so they are nice, light, easy-to-carry engines. The OMC 3-4hp engines built from the 40s to the 90s have 2 cylinders so they also have the advantage of being smooth running and light...and powerful in reverse.

My small 3 horse Evinrude doesn't have a reverse. Or a neutral. The only time it's an issue is when you need to start the motor and go reverse right away. So you have to pull the motor over which you can only do with the tiller handle facing towards you, get the throttle you want then spin the motor. It's a bit of an issue but not enough to really be of any concern. I love my little 3 horse direct drive. And that motor is almost exclusively used in a river.

Latest posts