1966 evinrude 5hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some clarification. I have a 66' 5hp. I read somewhere that this is a "*******" engine. With a 4hp lower and 6hp powerhead. Is this true?

Having hard time looking up parts for this engine. Any help would be great!

You have a great little engine there! Does yours have the throttle on the side? I know the '67s did. Engine really wasn't a ******* engine at all. There was a demand for that style of engine at the time. Fishermen wanted a more powerful engine than the (then) current 3hp twin that was light enough to pack in and out of remote areas. Your engine was the result of that
A couple years ago I resurrected a '67 for the owners of a local Johnson/Evinrude outboard dealership. The engine had belonged to their dad and was in excellent visual condition but had not been run in over two decades and had not been stored properly. This one even required the cylinder head be pulled as the cooling jackets had apparently been packed full of sand on its last run.
We put it back into service and it was the engine used to teach one of the owners daughters how to run a boat. We taught her how to run it and what to do in different scenarios and that little engine pushed her and various friends all over the lake for a Summer without complaint. With weight up in the bow it would easily plane a 14' flat bottom with one person and would still plane it with two of these kids onboard.

Thanks pappy. It is a very light motor to carry. Haven't had a chance to look at it good yet. There is a handle on the side. Did not know if that was throttle or engagement lever. Any idea why I can not find this motor listed on most places parts list? Engine looks clean. Does need new prop, so I have to find one for it. Find out more this week, when I have a chance to look it over.

Support your local dealer whenever possible. This way they will be there should you need them at some point in the future. They should be able to look up your parts for you. I had no problem finding the parts fiche.
marine engine. com will have the proper fiche for that engine as well.
Believe you can look it up by model number or year and horsepower.

+1, to what Pappy said (nice little motor and support your local dealer when you can). I have the Johnson version of that engine, an LD-10. Most all the parts are pretty easy to find with the prop being the hardest to locate. I happened to find a brand new one at my local dealer, it was packed away in a box of old out of date stuff. They do show up on E-Bay quite often, usually the Michigan wheel version (average price seems to run around $50).

Thanks, well I came across a 1960 evinrude 18hp for $50 in better shape.

May fix the 5hp or just sell it as is.

That engine will be a powerhouse for you.
I just put one back into service for a customer who found it at a garage sale. Had been in a corner of a garage for years.
Remember that prior to 1964 you should be running a 24:1 mix. That engine will benefit from it.

Thanks pappy. Yes, I wanted the bigger motor. It is in great shape, just have to do a tune up and change impeller. Plus get it titled. That takes a while, since it was never titled before.

Latest posts