what motor should i use.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbaiter

Reaction score
I have a 12 ft v bottom and a 14 ft v bottom. When getting my 14 ft I fished all last year with a 6hp evinrude fisherman it pushed the boat around but was slow as can be. I picked up a 20 hp Chrysler autolectric its a old motor (from the early 70's) but runs like a bear. I made a homemade transom riser because its a long shaft and pushed to boat around nicely just weighs a ton. Last week I helped a buddy of mine move and for helping him he gave me his 12 foot boat along with a 8 hp Johnson motor and gas tank. Im guessing the motor is from the 90's. As soon as this horrible snow goes away in new York im planning on decking out the 14 footer and was wondering what motor I should put on.

Attachments

• 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 512
  • 273.jpg
    273.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 512
I would use the evinrude or the johnson, that chrysler looks too big and heavy for that boat, not to mention it is the wrong shaft length. Hopefully your 12 fter don't get too tippy with you decking it out, I personally prefer the lower center of gravity on small boats like yours. Good luck.
Tim

I plan on decking out the 14 ft boat should be plenty stable. not sure what im gonna do with the 12 footer. maybe I will throw that on craigslist with the trailer for a couple hundred bucks with the 20 hp. thanks for the advice.

How much does the Chrysler 20 weigh? It looks like it can be converted into a short shaft.

not too sure how much it weighs I know its def. a beast when I had to throw it in the back of my truck lol.Is it hard to convert that to a short shaft? what would I need to get to do that? and as for the Johnson I was guessing its a 90's I know it came from a fire department which bought that new for a rescue boat and never used it and my buddy picked it up off them and used it a handful of times before giving it to me.

The piece in between the lower unit and the mid section can be removed to make it a short shaft.

Yep....not nearly as simple as "just remove that piece in the middle"
Will need a driveshaft, shift shaft, and water tube unless you cut that.
The 8hp engines are pretty good performers. You may want to run that and see if it is enough for you.
Decking a 14 however will add a lot of weight to a little v-bottom boat that does not have a lot of hull (planing) surface area to begin with.
Your hull loading goes way up which will probably require more horsepower and therefore even more weight.

thanks for the advice. figured it wouldn't be that easy to convert . cheaper and easier to just use my ghetto transom riser I built. :lol: hopefully the deck shouldn't add that much weight im not going anything crazy with it just something for some dry storage.not looking for a speed boat it would just be nice to break 10 mph out on the lake

You are getting good advice. You should look at the paint on the Chrysler, it turns brownish when the engine overheats. The whole midsection looks a little off color to me...but it could just be the photo. Maybe you could post a picture of the powerhead, a good shot port and stbd each side. When they get baked to a crunch, it's real obvious. Then you can get a better idea where to spend money.

the paint is a brownish color on the shaft of the Chrysler because some bonehead tried to paint it that owned it before me. the paint under the cowl looks good. actually almost too good for a motor from 1969. I took a few pics of the inside of the motor. its crazy there is a light bulb mounted on the top of my motor which is pretty funky. It has a toggle switch that turns it on and off. theres a high section on the engine cover with a thin almost transparent piece of plastic for the light to shine through lol.

few pics of the Chrysler. Note the bulb on the top of the motor lol

Attachments

• rsz_20140220_195458.jpg
    rsz_20140220_195458.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 344
  • rsz_20140220_195505.jpg
    rsz_20140220_195505.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 344
  • rsz_20140220_195546.jpg
    rsz_20140220_195546.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 344
  • rsz_320140220_195451.jpg
    rsz_320140220_195451.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 344
I would use the 8 horse. The 20 horse Chrysler would be ok to use if it was a short shaft, but being a company gone out of business parts might be hard to find for that conversion. The Chrysler does not look like it has been repainted under the hood. The extra long shaft meant it was probably on a sail boat and did not receive much use over the years. If you are unsure get a compression test done on the motor. Remove the spark plugs and look for any scoring and pitting on the cylinder and walls. Next look for any little metal flakes on the plugs if there is bad compression the motor is probably best for parts. If there is a bunch of little metal flakes on the plugs, the crank shaft is coming apart and the bearings will burn out soon. Hope this helps and I hope all of your motors are good. The Chrysler might make a good trade for the right motor. Just another Idea.

Spend some more time checking out the powerhead like CCM suggested. That Chrysler is an AUTOLECTRIC model. It's kind of a neat setup. The generator is also the starter. Find a shortshaft parts motor and make one good engine with the right shaft length. If it turns out to be in good shape internally, it will perform well. They were a good design. The lightbulb on top had two functions. It showed the charging system was working and it allowed you to see to bait your hook. The cover has a translucent dome on it. If it's not cracked and broken, be careful with it. Someone out there is dying to find it...might be worth something.

Latest posts