'65 Evinrude 9.5 hp Sporttwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison73

Reaction score
So, I've been lurking here for a couple years while I dream about getting a boat. Long story short, there may be a boat in my future, but I have an old Sporttwin that's been sitting in storage from my parents for at least 10 years. I'll be taking it apart and hopefully getting it up to snuff, but before I even cross that bridge, is it worth my time? Are parts hard to find or is it common enough that I could get it back up and going for much less then a new 9.9? Thanks for the input in advance.

~ Jamison

It could be a good engine. You won't know if it's worth your while until you check it out. Get a good tank of fresh premix and a good fuel line. Put the engine in a barrel of water(never run dry, ever). Hook up the fuel(correctly, arrow towards engine), squeeze the bulb and see what happens. First, look for leaks while you are squeezing the bulb. Second, the fuel will either go into the carburetor, or it won't. If the fuel goes into the carb it will either stop when the carb is full or it won't. The fuel bulb firms up when the fuel stops flowing(2-4 squeezes). If the carb won't accept fuel, or if the fuel won't shut off when full(floods), then you have to stop and go into the fuel system. If the carb works to this point see if it starts. It will either start or it won't.
Let us all know what you find.

Never use starting fluid in a 2 stroke motor. If needed spray some 50/1 fuel mix into the carb.

10-4. I've gort a lot of reading to do before I dig into this, but I'm hoping to poke at it in the next week or so.

I almost feel like I'm insulting you by using your forum name...Thanks SumDumGuy! I've read it a couple times and have it book marked. I need to fab up a motor stand before I get to any serious work on this thing.

That sure is a lot of information on the 9.5. Right on the mark.

The author noted that some people compare the 9.5 powerhead with the old 7.5hp. The powerhead on the 9.5 is different from the 7.5 in that the 9.5 had roller bearings for the crank rather that bronze plain bearings the 7.5 had. Completely different. I remember as a kid the engine was advertised as 'low enough you could fish right over it'.

Here are some photos of the 1964 Evinrude calalog.

Attachments

• IMG_8086.JPG
    IMG_8086.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_8085.JPG
    IMG_8085.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_8084.JPG
    IMG_8084.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_8082.JPG
    IMG_8082.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 444
Excellent pictures. I'd like to think that I may recoat the paint and bring it back to life, but I need to get it running first. I've got cabin fever going and just want to get out muskie hunting, but the return of frigid weather in Chicago isn't helping.

There is an auto body supply house, in Hartford CT, that mixes up custom spray cans using the OMC/PPG paint code. It comes out perfect the couple of times I've used them. Another time I had a color custom mixed from a sample of the original paint. You need a good flat square inch of un-faded original paint. The computer senses the color and gives a code. That came out good too. Please don't think any of this comes cheap though.

While I don't consider it cheap, I do think it'll worthwhile for the experience. That, and it should be cheaper then springing for a new <10 hp motor. We'll see what happens with the paint. It may look just fine once it gets cleaned up a bit.

That's what I'm hoping for. It's pretty scuzzy at the moment, but some elbow grease should fix that. I'm hoping I can build the stand this weekend, and start getting it cleaned up.

For inspiration I'll share this: one of the high-speed stands I use...

stand.jpg

That reminds me that I have a couple saw horses that aren't doing anything...time to re-purpose one.

Latest posts