78' 6hp evinrude. where to find decals, top end kit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codylanemoore

Reaction score
I just purchased my first outboard. a 78' evinrude the motor has 75lbs compression both cylinders runs and idles great. however the cover is a little rough and im having a hard time finding replacement decals for this year and model(6804b). also I would like to go ahead and do a piston, ring, and gasket job on it before it gets wore out. where can I find just those parts in a kit? and does anyone know where to find the decals??? thanks in advance for the help.

awesome thanks a lot those are exactly what I need. I spent hours looking for them and every place said discontinued. I appreciate your help!

When I was new to outboards, I would take engines apart just to see what was inside. Some times they were perfect and in need of no repair. I regretted taking them all apart because, now, I had to spend time and money just to get back to where I was at first.

If your engine runs and idles fine, you are likely to see very limited benefit from a rebuild. If everything is fine inside you may wish you never took it apart. Your time, effort, and money were already well spent when you found it. The engine may have hundreds of hours to give you at no further cost. Take 'em.

If you need to go inside and look, like I did, find a broken one. Go see what happened to it. You will never regret taking apart a blown/worn engine. Now you have a chance to make repairs and add to it's value.

Welcome to boating.

It may run for many hours with no trouble at all , but at 75 lbs compression on both cylinders I would think that honing the cylinders and new rings would boost compression. just my 2 cents.

Ya I see where you guys are coming from. I think I will go ahead and wait on a rebuild and maybe just do a being job after this summer is over. Does anyone have any experience with sea foam? I hear that it clears the carbon from cylinder piston rings and carb and can help with compression

Go to a dealer and get a can of BRP "Engine Tuner" and, with the engine running at around 1500RPMs or so and warmed up, spray at least half of the contents of the can down the throat of the carb and let the engine sit overnight. Do not run it clean of the tuner prior to shutting it off. Let the concentrate sit in the engine. Run it clean the next day.
FWIW - The 1978 and 79 6hp engines were some of the most reliable ever built. I would not touch it internally.

Latest posts