prop. pitch help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codylanemoore

Reaction score
so I have a 78' 6hp evinrude on a 12'x4' v-hull aluminum boat. I took it out today for the first time and the motor ran great. the only concern I had was that my boat never would plain out and sounded like the motor was struggling quite a bit. would changing prop pith help the boat plain out and relief stress off of the motor? gear in the boat is trolling motor, a large deep cycle battery 6gal gas tank, two mounted seats and your normal fishing gear for two people weighing around 165 each. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys.

You will never get that boat and gear to plane with that motor. Now if you take everything out and only have 1 gallon of gas you will get it to plane, flat water coming off the transom.

Well there has to be someway to at least help take the load off the motor. Even if I can't get it to plain out I'd like it to run a little smoother. From what I understood prop pitch will help at getting it to run at the correct rpms. Also heard I might be able to do a carb swap? Is this true with this year and model motor?

7 1/4" pitch is the smallest offered for that motor. Do you have a tach? You will need one, a tiny tach would be a good choice. Get the tach first to see if your RPM's are within the manufacturers WOT operating range. Not sure on that exact motor but it is probably 4500-5500 RPM's.
Good luck!