Adding Manual Tilt for Shallow Water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.E. Nelli

Reaction score
Howdy guys, I'm Eric. Been lurking this site for awhile as I just bought a project boat a month or so ago. Getting ready to deploy tomorrow, so it will be awhile before I can actually work on the boat, but I am just trying to learn as much as possible now so I know where to start when I get home in mid June.

So my question is..

It is an '89 1648 Landau semi v with a 40 hp johnson, tiller steer. The transom has been converted to solid reinforced aluminum rather than wood, and the motor is bolted directly to it. The only tilt option on the boat is lifting it completely up and resting it on the little arms which takes the water intakes out of the water. There is no other manual or electric tilt/trim devices on it. So while the motor is not locked down (which i like for running the MO river) I need a way to hold the motor up while in shallow water. I am looking for the cheapest alternative possible. I do not want to put in a $600 electric trim. I know a lot of these either have just the hyd ram that you can lock in different angles, or the device with multiple detents with a pin holding it in place. I have searched high and low for either one of these things, and have had no luck. I am also open to any other methods out there.

Thanks so much for your help. This site is such a wealth of information for a greenhorn such as myself.

So there are no holes on the mounting/lifting area of the motor where you can put a locking pin in? If so it sounds like you have a power tilt model missing the power tilt. Pictures would help so we can figure out exactly what you have and how to remedy it.

ccm said:
So there are no holes on the mounting/lifting area of the motor where you can put a locking pin in? If so it sounds like you have a power tilt model missing the power tilt. Pictures would help so we can figure out exactly what you have and how to remedy it.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but it doesn't have them. The boat is down in MO right now so I can't get a picture taken right now. I will try to have my buddy send one. I messed with it for a long time and it seriously only has all the way up on the trailer rests, or all the way down unlocked. Its weird. That's very possible that it used to have a power trim unit.

I think I got it. You will probably have to unbolt the motor from the transom and find a manual trim unit. Try local outboard mechanics, most at least in my area have large part yards, if that doesn't work try eBay, and Craig's list. And also thank you for your service.

ccm said:
I think I got it. You will probably have to unbolt the motor from the transom and find a manual trim unit. Try local outboard mechanics, most at least in my area have large part yards, if that doesn't work try eBay, and Craig's list. And also thank you for your service.

Ok thanks. Yeah I will have to pull the motor off when I prep and paint the boat anyways. I have been searching eBay for one, but they are all electric trim units from what o can find. I will have to check some local places too. Is there anywhere online to buy a factory replacement? I'm not very good at finding boat parts online.

And thank you sir for your support.

Eric

Might have to find a junk/parts motor. I wouldn't spend more than $150 to get the parts you need. Hydraulic and electric trim will probably cost to much for just wanting shallow water drive. I would try to find the type where you just stick the pin in.

ccm said:
Might have to find a junk/parts motor. I wouldn't spend more than $150 to get the parts you need. Hydraulic and electric trim will probably cost to much for just wanting shallow water drive. I would try to find the type where you just stick the pin in.

Yeah I definitely don't need electric trim for what I need it for. Anything that will just hold the motor up higher so I can push through shallower water getting to my duck hunting spots. Haha

Latest posts