1985 Johnson 30hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattbowen61990

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1985 Johnson 30hp short shaft outboard from a guy. It has a tiller handle, and is pull start. I am wondering what all of the controls are, he did not have the manual for it. There is a collar on the tiller with two places on it, sort of like a thing turning on one and a dot in the center of two white bars. Also, I would like to know more about the primer, such as where should it be during starting... I noticed today that when I pump it, sometimes I can see gas coming back up through the carb. Is this normal? when that happens it has a hard time starting.Also, it ran fine about 2 days ago, I sprayed a little Gumout carb cleaner through the carb, added a little sea foam to the gas, and changed the plugs, Gapped to .030, now it wont run on its own, but I can play with the throttle at the carb and it runs. What is the little knob on top of the carb that is black with the spring? Any help is appreciated

Congrats on your new motor. Hopefully its a runner.
Lets start with some Do's & Don'ts.
First some don'ts...
Don't spray carb cleaner into the motor.
Don't throttle the motor at the carb.

You have a manual primer. The primer is only used when cold starting the motor.
I copied the starting procedure from another site. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck.
jasper

Manual Primer

The manual primer operates as both a fuel injector and an enriching device. The fuel injector operates w/o air being drawn through the motor. The enriching device is an alternate path from the carburetor to draw fuel through the primer and add more fuel during cold-start.

Put motor in neutral
Place the throttle in the start position.
Cycle through one or two full pull-push operations on the primer knob. This will squirts fuel into the intake manifold.
Pull out primer knob one half-to full out. This will engage the cold-start enricher circuit.
Pull the starter rope, or press start button until the engine starts.
As the engine begins to run, slowly slide the primer knob in. The rate of choke disengagement will vary greatly with each individual outboard. Some require immediate disengagement, others require slow disengagement. Know your outboard.
Visually inspect tell-tale for solid stream indicating proper cooling.
As the choke is disengaged and the motor warms up, slowly back the throttle off from start to the shift position.

Thanks, yes it runs, it has fine the past few days. I am unsure of what the "starting position is on the motor tiller, it has two positions, one has a black dot with two columns going from each end, and a position that has a arrow in a circular path. Thanks for posting that info, I looked under the hood, and saw that the slow idle adj. screw was backed way out, so I screwed it in and backed it out about a turn and a half. Planning on testing it tomorrow to see if that was the problem.

Latest posts