Fuel Tank for a 9.9 Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macrosill

Reaction score
I bought a 1978 9.9hp Evinrude electric start short shaft outboard off Craigslist today for 375. We ran it in a tub and it worked great, had a nice idle and started both electric and manual pull quite easily.

This is going on my 14' Sears Gamefisher that I am decking.

I need a fuel line and tank setup. I am not sure what size tank to get. It seems like a 6 gallon tank is standard for these small outboards, is it? If so how much run time can I expect out of 6 gal?

These tanks are more expensive that I expected.

This is my 1st outboard so any advice is appreciated. I know never to run it out of water but other than that I have no clue.

I made the stand earlier today.
20140304_152557 (Small).jpg

The basic formula for fuel consumption is for every 10 HP the motor will use 1 gallon of fuel per hour at WOT. So you could get around 6 hours at full power from a 6 gallon tank.

If you don't have one, try to get a "1978 Evinrude 9.9HP Service Manual" for YOUR paticular motor. Money well spent to learn
about the motor parts. Good luck and have fun.

My 9.9 was on a 12 footer so your results will be different, but I most always used a 3 gal. tank. Only went with a 6 gal. on multi-day trips unless there was some serious run time. But for sure you do not want to have almost enough fuel to get home.

I've got the cousin to that, '78 15 hp, with the 6 gal ya can just about run all day :lol: Great job on the motor stand too !

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343936#p343936 said:
Charger25 » Today, 08:32[/url]"]I've got the cousin to that, '78 15 hp, with the 6 gal ya can just about run all day :lol: Great job on the motor stand too !

Thanks. It was nice to get out of the house and do something. It was cold out but with jacket, hat ans gloves I made it through the cold long enough to build the stand. I still need the casters to go on the bottom.

That seems like a pretty fair deal for a good running 9.9 with electric start, especially because it runs good and looks good. You are off to a good start. That engine originally came with a six gallon tank.

Part prices seem to go up faster than I can believe, that's for sure. Part prices have almost doubled in just a few years AND it's getting harder and harder to find anything built well. Tanks and lines are best bought from the original manufacturers. That's too bad too, because they are the most expensive ones.

Those Aluminum 14ft Gamefishers are really nice boats. They were built by SeaNymph and usually perform well. Weight is important. I have seen a number of boats that won't plane off anymore because they were freighted down and now handle like tankers. A suggestion here is to take all your proposed materials and load them into the boat, add all the rest of the gear you will need. Take the boat for a ride and see how she feels. Now take all that stuff out of the boat and go for another ride. At that point you will have a good idea of how your project will turn out. Boats and airplanes operate in fluid mediums. Every pound counts(and costs)every time the craft moves.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344032#p344032 said:
Boat2fast » Today, 01:21[/url]"]That seems like a pretty fair deal for a good running 9.9 with electric start, especially because it runs good and looks good. You are off to a good start. That engine originally came with a six gallon tank.

Part prices seem to go up faster than I can believe, that's for sure. Part prices have almost doubled in just a few years AND it's getting harder and harder to find anything built well. Tanks and lines are best bought from the original manufacturers. That's too bad too, because they are the most expensive ones.

Those Aluminum 14ft Gamefishers are really nice boats. They were built by SeaNymph and usually perform well. Weight is important. I have seen a number of boats that won't plane off anymore because they were freighted down and now handle like tankers. A suggestion here is to take all your proposed materials and load them into the boat, add all the rest of the gear you will need. Take the boat for a ride and see how she feels. Now take all that stuff out of the boat and go for another ride. At that point you will have a good idea of how your project will turn out. Boats and airplanes operate in fluid mediums. Every pound counts(and costs)every time the craft moves.

Thanks for the info on the tank. I am going to order a 6 gallon for sure.

Good suggestions on the test with all the materials on board. I will certainly test once I have the project fully layed out and the design finalized.

It would cost you a little more than $100.00 at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scepter-6-Gallon-EPA-Tank/21564625?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_bottom&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=67430009715&category=0%3A91083%3A1045959%3A1074767%3A1043574&client_guid=c0c1f7fd-82a6-43a1-9584-dd1aa2962510&config_id=0&parent_item_id=16350987&guid=a3af42e0-00e3-4d04-b3b5-3a2e149d40ac&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moeller-Johnson-Evinrude-3-8-I.D.-Hose-Fuel-Line-Assembly-034391-10LPA/20753321

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-OMC-Fuel-Tank-Fitting/16351056?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=67430009715&category=0%3A4125%3A111667%3A1079384%3A1079924&client_guid=c5c1490a-344c-4529-bc40-72211042d889&config_id=2&parent_item_id=20753321&guid=e7062d4d-a349-4812-aca0-3c1b75069ba8&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

The hose assembly should come with a quick connect end for the tank. No need for that tank fitting.