25hp Johnson - motor bogging down, no energy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Having gone through several fuel lines since 1960. I have become lackadacious with installing
newly purchased parts ........
Situation: I purchased a 1979 25hp Johnson 7 years ago and it ran great .... I got busy with a
lot of stuff here and it sat for a couple of years, bought a new fuel line & pressure bulb from Wal-Mart
5 years ago but never had the boat out for a real hard run, but, it did get up on plane but not really
anything to brag about. I even bought a new prop, thinking that was the problem, but no.
this past weekend, the fuel line came off the motor connector twice...... so I got fired up to find out what
the problem was with the power issue ..... starting at the motor first. When priming the fuel bulb, air and
gas was squirting out from the fuel connector at the motor housing.......
this is what I found ..... the fuel connector was not engaging at the motor fully, allowing air and fuel to
leak and causing insufficient suction of fuel to the carb.
Please see the photos to fully understand the problem and the cure.
I know that this should have been an obvious problem, but, I never actually put my face under the fitting
to see if it clipped snugly as it should...... just taking it for granted because it has always fit in the past.
For the past 50 or so years it is has always fit the way it was supposed to with other motors.
So now, I went a few steps further and eliminated the motor connection all together just for the summer.
I ran a NEW automotive 5/16" fuel line from the pressure bulb to the fuel pump with an inline visible filter
and all new clamps ..... got rid of ALL the factory JUNK clamps.... and it is AIR TIGHT now.
Will test run it tomorrow to see if there is any improvement....
The problem was the motor would loose speed and just not perky at full throttle under load.
I am really hoping this cheap fix will get the old girl back to zipping along as she should.
1959 Crestliner - 1979 Johnson with 9x11 prop.

Attachments

• gas fitting 012.JPG
    gas fitting 012.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 008.JPG
    gas fitting 008.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 004.JPG
    gas fitting 004.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 010.JPG
    gas fitting 010.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 003.JPG
    gas fitting 003.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 001.JPG
    gas fitting 001.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 361
  • gas fitting 009.JPG
    gas fitting 009.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 361
Looks good. Don't over tighten the clamp it will deform the barb on the connector.

After chasing the freakin GREMLINS in this motor .....
water in the gas
leaking fittings
yada yada yada

only to find out today ..... it is a leaking HEAD GASKET !!!!
Two bolts were pretty rusted so it has been leaking water for quite some time.
I guess it was a slow leak that began couple of years ago and finally gave way
today while running in a barrel.
am soooooooo thankful that it gave up the ghost in the driveway and not 10 miles from the dock !!!!

First, I checked the spark plugs and they had water on them .....
cleaned them up, started up the motor and it ran GREAT - - - at first - - -
then, right back to the old rough running, bogging down and no energy.

pulled the plugs again, MORE water this time .... pulled the head off, and the pistons
were filled with water.
now that all the fuel line issues and new filter and then new head gaskets will be the FINAL FIX.
sure will be nice to get all these gremlins OUT before summer starts !!!!!

Nice job.

GREAT images so others can see exactly what you did and how they might do something similar.

Exactly what the forum is based on , in my opinion: Folks helping folks.

=D>

Latest posts