My 2004 3.5hp 2-stroke Johnson or new 6hp Merc?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bottombouncer

Reaction score
I'm debating on whether or not to replace my '04 Johnson 3.5hp 2-stroke with a new 6hp Mercury. I like the convenience of not mixing gas and I'm sure a little smoother operation. In my 14' I get around 5.5mph according to the gps. That's with me only and fishing gear, anchor, extra gas, etc.

Any insight into this would be great. My motor fires right up. It just seems under powered and a bit too loud. I don't want to step up to a 9.9 because I don't want to lose space with the external tank and added motor weight.

The Mercury's are made by Tohatsu, exact same motors only different badging/decals. I upgraded from a 2hp Mariner 2 stroke to a 4hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (2011 model bought new in Jan. 2013) it is the internal tank model. I have had several issues with E gas (yes I did use stabill Marine in it ) it is a pain to remove and blow out all of the fuel lines so I recently ordered all of the parts for the external tank. In reality it is not that much extra weight or space ( 3 gallon tank ) The internal tank only holds 1/3 of a gallon of gas. But I must say that the motors are quite fuel efficient. I could run around all day on a local 550 acre lake on that 1/3 of a gallon of gas. The motors are also super quiet and will Idle down to a snails pace. I run mine on a 14ft v hull boat. With the 2hp (5 mph) 4hp (8-12 mph according to load) When my warranty expires I will turn my 4hp into a 6hp. As far as a new motor an upgrade to a 6hp four stroke is defiantly a good way to go. It's nice not to have to mix gas and hear an ear deafening sound :LOL2: behind me .

Latest posts