prop selection 30hp johnson on a 1652 help please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
So I picked up a 1985 30hp Johnson on craigslist the other day and it didnt come with a prop. The boat will be a Alweld 1652 flatbottom with a dry weight of 380lbs. I want to order a SS prop and the selection to choose from is very limited. I was looking at the Solas NEW saturn because the price was about half of the other SS props. I havent got the boat yet, but i am going to make the move within the next few weeks. I will have 2 batteries and light tackle to an overall rig weight less than 900lbs. I was thinking of a 13p. I have a tach and a GPS to see where im at once i run it, but would like to get a ballpark of where i should start as far as pitch... Again, I bought a motor without a prop so i have nothing to test from the start. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I like the solas amita prop never had a problem with them. I think either a 13 or a 14 pitch prop would suit you well. Your boat isnt really heavy so you may over rev with the 13p but no way to tell untill its on the water.

Yes that's right, no way to tell for sure until it's wet. These motors are popular and the props are everywhere. Borrow aluminum props till you get a feel for what the boat likes. A friendly dealer helps here. Try 13p. If your engine runs real good, it might be fine. I have all the props that fit these engines...and I mean ALL of them. Rarely does an 11p come out of the basement. Yours is a big boat though. Just as rarely do I find use for a 17p(38-41mph). Mostly 13 and 15P for running light and fast. Stainless props always add measurable speed, with a gps. I have a hard time telling the difference without a gps. Trouble is, you get addicted to the gps and everything becomes about getting the next mph. You can forget to enjoy the ride.

The props that usually seem to work best for me are the stock OMC props(not BRP). The originals are getting hard to find in new condition. I also like the MW Ballistic props in many cases. These engines like to rev and 5800 is max on the upper hp versions. Most of the rev limiters are set at 6100.

thanks for the replies. Since the Alweld is a heavy boat, I ordered an Amita 3 13p to start with. I would rather have something that planes faster than something thats sluggish to get on plane. thanks again

Latest posts