Replaced fuel pump and still have fuel issues!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouEZ22

Reaction score
I got my motor running for the first time since I bought it. I had problems with the starter assembly and i broke down and toon it to a mechanic. They told me the fuel pump needed to be replace so i ordered the part and I replaced it. I got it running but it still starts to die out until I pump the primer on the fuel line. What could the problem be??? Its a 1969 9.5hp evinrude

sounds like the tank line. my 9.9 did that,and after changing the fuel pump i found a crack in the line fitting where it came out of the tank.the dinky fuel pump wasn't quite strong enough to draw fuel but pumping the bulb was.

I'm trying to track the possible leak.. I started from the carb to the pump then got a new primer, replaced the hose from primer and attached it straight to the fuel pump. I'm going to bypass the quick connect to the gas tank tomorrow and see if that's where it's catching air. It's one of those Attwood fuel lines and a 6gal Attwood tank.

I didn't replace the gasket but it looked in really good shape? If there wasn't a good seal there would that cause me to also lose pressure in the primer too? I'm really motor illiterate so I'm grateful for all new information to me

Thanks Guys!!

Just ordered a new gasket for between the pump and manifold. I've replaced every part of the fuel line so if that doesn't fix it I'm going to assume I bought a bad fuel pump and replace that again. It was a used part I bought off ebay. Once again, I tried being cheap and I end up paying twice as much.

If thats a stupid question...here's mine...

Where would that be on my 6gal Attwood tank?

a8a9y7a9.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344313#p344313 said:
LouEZ22 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 pm[/url]"]If thats a stupid question...here's mine...

Where would that be on my 6gal Attwood tank?
I just looked that model up it says it has an automatic vacuum valve but it may be damaged or stuck try running it with the cap off and see what happens
if that doesn't help I would suggest taking it to someone who knows motors before buying a new pump and wasting more money

when ever I replace a part that has a gasket I always replace the gasket at the same time

Dang! at this point i was really hoping that was it... still died out without constantly priming. Hopefully the gasket solves the problem but I feel my shortcut of being cheap might have bit me in the @$$

buying a used part from ebay may have bit you there may be something else wrong
I am NO mechanic I try the easy stuff then I save money by taking it to someone who
knows what they are doing most times it is cheaper to have them fix it right the first time

but I don't mind spending the money to get things fixed if I am not sure what im doing
I have replaced a head gasket before I had to make it from scratch because it was off and old old 1933 motor so getting the part
wasn't a choice I had this was before the internet

The primer bulb will retain its shape but will have very little fuel in it while the engine pump is pulling fuel through it.
If it is going flat while the engine is running then you have a vent issue with the tank or a sticking valve on the tank side of the bulb.
The arrow does point toward the engine correct???

When the squeeze bulb makes the motor run better, I immediately suspect the fuel pump. Sometimes blowing some air through it(gently)can remove some stuff holding a valve open inside. It might be time to open up the fuel pump and see if the rubber parts are OK. Some of the older pumps need replacing because they aren't supported with rebuild parts. The new-style small square pump is specified to replace those older pumps on the smaller engines. Some people think nothing of throwing their old, failed parts on ebay to offset the money they had to shell out to replace them. If you already have the small square pump, it is supported. The kit comes with good instructions. You will benefit from making a jig to hold the pump while working on it. A board with two large nails driven straight through will work. Space the nails so the pump body slides over through two opposite bolt holes. Make notes or take pictures of everything as you take it apart. It has to go back the same way. If someone already took it apart then you have to check their work. Use the factory book. New pumps are sooo expensive, I hate when that's the last resort.

when I came home for lunch I pulled the hose leaving the pump and it poured out almost brownish at first and then the blueish gas/oil color. I noticed it is leaking at the gasket a little.

Later.. When I got home from work its been warm and the tank has been in the sun today still hooked up to the motor... there was a large amount of gas leaking from the gasket. I'm hoping the new gasket might do the trick is there anything i should keep in mind when I put the new gasket on?