1997 Yamaha 25 Twin Carb. Will it charge a battery?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borntofish

Reaction score
Hi All,
I purchased a 1997 Yamaha twin carb 25 HP, electric start, oil injection. Does anyone know if this will charge my starting battery. Also, the boat came with a marine deep cycle wet battery. Should I use a different battery for the Yamaha and use the deep cycle for FF, Lights ,Radio etc. I do not have a trolling motor on the boat.
Thanks for the help,
Born to Fish

If the motor is electric start from the factory it will have a rectifier and will charge the battery, if working correctly.

Ideally you should use a cranking battery for starting and the D/C battery for accessories, but you will then have to either use a battery isolator, or charge the D/C battery separately. For this reason most guys with smaller boats just use a "single" dual purpose battery.

your motor should charge the battery while running but you may still need to charge it once you get home '
the charger only works while the motor is running and the charging amps may not fully recover the drain you put on the battery

As far as needing 2 batteries IMO no you should be fine with just the one battery but if you add a trolling motor then you will need a second battery
My cranking battery runs my 2 depth finders running lights and 2 live wells without any issues
then my 3 AGM batteries run my trolling motor
I have a 4 bank charger that I plug in when I get home and my cranking battery always needs a charge not as much as my trolling motor batteries but it does need a charge

Thanks everyone. Google, who da thunk it, but then I wouldn't have the pleasure of your responses. This forum is filled with great and generous people!

Quick test to see if the charging system is working: Put a volt meter on the battery. Note the reading. Start the engine and rev it up a bit. If the volt meter rises with the rpm above the battery voltage observed before starting, then the charging system is working. In order to charge the battery, the charging system has to put out a higher voltage than the battery. Just look for the increase. You'll know in a few seconds after starting the motor. It's not unusual to see 13.5-15vdc.

Latest posts