Water Intake Screen replacement - Water Bypass - Johnson 25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
While doing miscellaneous maintenance on my 1979 Johnson 25,
I kept seeing the "water intake" mentioned in the service manual which is located below the exhaust.
Honestly, I have never given it much thought - out of sight, out of mind.
I propped the motor up as high as it would go, and yep, there IS one !!!
BUT - mine was 90% clogged with paint and debris. How the heck it worked is beyond me.
So, back to the manual as how to change it .... hahahahahaha DROP THE FOOT !!!!!
and replace it from the INSIDE .... KUDOS to the OMC "engineers" that designed THIS ONE !!!
so, upon pondering the situation - I could not clean the screen or get it back to shape from
the outside without destroying it with pliers, etc. it was dented in about half way.
I was thinking the plug could not be more than 1/8" thick - like a freeze plug.
soooooo got my drill and 1/4" bit and drilled almost 1/2" - wow - thicker than I had thunk.
so, kept drilling .... then, got a 3/8" bit and CAREFULLY drilled out the half inch plug.
got the filter out ... it is heavy duty stainless so there is no reason to buy a new one.
Used an assortment of tools to reform the original shape, wire brush to clean all the pores.
Keep using larger round tools to get the diameter to where it will slide SNUGLY back into the hole.
ok, to plug the hole - use what works for you !!!! wood dowel, Bondo, Epoxy, tap & thread for a bolt, etc.
I am just going to whittle down a dowel to where it fits good, hammer it in and cut it flush.
THEN - next time you want to clean the screen, just drill out the Bondo, Epoxy, wood stick, or what ever.
MUCH easier than drilling out a 1/2" aluminum plug that is frozen solid in the tube.
and MUCH MUCH more easier than DROPPING THE FOOT !!!!!!!!
Just make SURE the screen fits SNUGLY inside the tube to do its intended job correctly - SCREEN WATER !!

DISCLAIMER: Do I recommend this approach ? YEPPERS !!! but, ONLY if you are quite skilled with a hand drill.

There is nothing more grand
than to be just simply messing
around in an old boat. POGO, 1960

search words: lower unit foot exhaust shift shifter
prop propeller gear gears shaft fuel filter pressure bulb

Attachments

• foot filter 06.JPG
    foot filter 06.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 511
  • foot filter 05.JPG
    foot filter 05.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 511