Power tilt/trim

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Is a CMC Power Lift really the only way to add power trim/tilt to my outboard? I have a 95 or so Merc 25 on my little Starcraft and the only complaint I have is no power trim. It's not a super problem, but enough that I would change it if I could. Do 25's come with power T/T as part of the motor now or is it only on the bigger motors? If I am going to spend $600-700 on a CMC Power Lift, I would consider selling my 25 and buying a newer motor with power T/T already installed. Guess I should just really suck it up and sell the whole boat and pick up a newer one, but I don't know.

The cmc is more than "just" PT&T. It also allows you to raise the motor height, therefore helping speed and handling. It is a neat unit. BUT their relays SUCK. Throw them in the trash and put a winch contactor on it for a permanent fix.

Many of the Tohatsu/merc/nissan motors are available with PT&T right from the showroom. I have run a 11 model 20 HP tohatsu with Power tilt. It is not trim. Just tilt. It will not "trim" while under way with much more than 1/4 throttle. If it's tilted up a little and accelerate, it drops back down on its own against the pressure relief. I'm not sure about the 25's, 30's, etc since I have very little experience with those. I "think" Yamaha has a 25 long shaft only available with PT&T. I know they have a 20hp. Pricey. Great motor. If it were me, I'd wait for the "new" Yamaha 25 to come out before I looked into the current ones...the current motor weighs about 185 lbs with PT&T. Super heavy.

All the 25's I looked at had the PT&T option. I finally settled an ETEC 25 PT&T. The 20's I looked at only had tilt.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344656#p344656 said:
turbotodd » Yesterday, 23:12[/url]"]The cmc is more than "just" PT&T. It also allows you to raise the motor height, therefore helping speed and handling. It is a neat unit. BUT their relays SUCK. Throw them in the trash and put a winch contactor on it for a permanent fix.

Many of the Tohatsu/merc/nissan motors are available with PT&T right from the showroom. I have run a 11 model 20 HP tohatsu with Power tilt. It is not trim. Just tilt. It will not "trim" while under way with much more than 1/4 throttle. If it's tilted up a little and accelerate, it drops back down on its own against the pressure relief. I'm not sure about the 25's, 30's, etc since I have very little experience with those. I "think" Yamaha has a 25 long shaft only available with PT&T. I know they have a 20hp. Pricey. Great motor. If it were me, I'd wait for the "new" Yamaha 25 to come out before I looked into the current ones...the current motor weighs about 185 lbs with PT&T. Super heavy.

Exactly. I have an 09 merc 20 that is identical. I was disappointed that you couldbt trim it past 1/4 throttle

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344811#p344811 said:
Boat2fast » 13 Mar 2014, 09:20[/url]"]Is the engine 2stroke? If so, the factory sells a kit.

It is a 2 stroke, but it's a 1993 motor I believe. They sell a kit for motors that old?