Motor for rivers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, new guy here. Been reading up on building a river boat and have a lot to ponder - but I thought I would ask your advice.

I recently bought a 1436 Crestliner without a motor, that I want to run rivers with. The boat is rated to 20hp, and is stock (no tunnel).

Everything I have read has me believing that I need a jet to run most shallow(ish) rivers. If I were to run a prop, and a Mac's river runner, I may be able to get away with staying in the deeper water on slower rivers. If I go this route, will a 2014 Merc 4stroke 9.9 push me (230lbs) and another guy the same weight upstream? I know this is a can of worms question, I am looking to see if anyone else has ran a new Merc 9.9 on their 14ft jon on a river.

Second, if I abandon the prop idea (which I am most likely to do) what size tiller motor should I get and convert to a jet with an Outboard Jets kit? I do not want to set any speed records, I just want to safely run upstream with two guys. (460lbs combined weight)

I need to head upstream on a fairly fast moving river, for those familiar in Alberta - The Oldman, The Bow, SSR, etc.

Thanks for any help you can contribute.

I'll let someone that's familiar with that river hopefully answer your questions about whether you need a jet and size but don't forget your gear when you start calculating weight. Like 6 gal of gas is almost 50lb, then there's a TM and battery that will probably add another 100lb. Then you've got your tackle boxes and rods, ice chest etc etc.

I have a 1648 with a 25hp and a macs river runner and with the motor tilted up so the inlet for water pump just stays under water I can run in 12" of water.. I cant go much faster than idle with it set like that but it gets me through the shallow sections. Before the 1648 I had a 1432 with a 8hp and it needed a about 16" of water Im thinking it drafted deeper because the wider boat has a bigger footprint on top of the water. A jet on a 1436 has been done but my understanding is a wider hull works much better because of the way a jet slides through turns. Someone more familiar with jets can help you out more with that as my knowledge on jets is limited.

Not real sure about the river you run but I'm thinking your boat will be too small for what your wanting to do. I run a 16' 42" with a 60/40 omc and you can tell it take more throttle to keep it up on plane then what a wider boat would, I don't have problem getting up on plane but my motor is far from stock. I think the biggest motor I'd put on your boat would be a 50/35 and that might be pushing it( weight wise), I don't think a 25hp would be too much motor for your boat but the weight your wanting to carry and the width of the boat I'm not sure the 25 even if you converted it up to a 35hp would not have enough power to get you up on plane very quick. I think it would take a lot of throttle to keep it up on plane. Plus with a jet you want to be able to stay on plane and have some throttle left to steer with. You have to be able to let out of the gas some turn then get back into the gas and have enough power to turn the boat in sharper turns. Honestly I'd say you would be better off looking for a 16' 48" or maybe even a 15' 42" Now if it was just a single person rig I think you could get away with it a lot easier. I don't know just my thoughts.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies fellas.

I am looking to use this boat for fishing primarily, from anchor. Getting to the spots is relatively easy, and not that shallow. The smallest river I plan on running is 50 yards across at the thinnest point. I am experienced in running boats, I have a 16'7 Crestliner Kodiak with a 50hp Mercury but I wouldn't take it in our rivers. As for jets, I have only been in friends boats in big and small water; I have driven them a few times, and my rookie status showed pretty fast!

All my fishing will be done from anchor, or beached and fishing off the back of the boat.

I ask about the 9.9 because it has the short shaft I need for my 15" transom, and Bass Pro has them on sale right now for a killer deal. Despite that, I am doing my best to talk myself out of the 9.9 and find a used 25-40hp tiller and convert it to a jet with an Outboard Jet kit.

I appreciate the advice, keep it going please!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344490#p344490 said:
stevesecotec02 » 10 Mar 2014, 20:23[/url]"]I have a 1648 with a 25hp and a macs river runner and with the motor tilted up so the inlet for water pump just stays under water I can run in 12" of water.. I cant go much faster than idle with it set like that but it gets me through the shallow sections. Before the 1648 I had a 1432 with a 8hp and it needed a about 16" of water Im thinking it drafted deeper because the wider boat has a bigger footprint on top of the water.

Thanks Steve, with your 8hp & 1432, could you run upstream?

Ran 2 guys and a 9.9 v-hull on the river. Ran only myself with a 9.9 a 1654 FB Grizzley on the same river.
The two of us couldn't get through a "chute" in the river with the v-hull. I barely made it, by myself, when running another "chute" with the 16" Jon.
IMO, you won't be happy with 2 guys and the 9.9 on a river that has whitewater "chutes". If it doesn't have those necked down areas that produce the whitewater, you may be able to get away with the 9.9.
On a lake the v-hull with the 9.9 worked just fine with the two of us. Also in just the current of the river, it worked fine with the two of us. In the same situation, the 9.9 on the 1654 works OK. The "chutes" are the killer!

My 8hp pushed us up river ok but it was slow. I dropped down to a low pitch prop for more thrust down low and it worked but we sacrificed top speed. If i remember correclty it topped out with 2 guys at 12mph.

Latest posts