85' 6hp johnson issues.....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordpirat

Reaction score
Just bought a 12' boat with a johnson 6hp outboard on it. Having trouble getting it to run. It runs if a pour fuel straight from the fuel cell(through the hose of course) and runs really nice. Just rebuilt carburetor was filled with a lot of gunk. Fuel pump works really well and spark is really good. What could be making this motor not want to run under normal conditions? Does the low speed screw effect the starting of the motor because ive set it at multiple positions and it doesnt seem to help it start.

Hello,
Have a look at this website.. it should give you some help and answers. https://leeroysramblings.com/OMC%206-8hp.htm

if you've rebuilt the carb it likely needs some adjustment.

After digging more into it i found that the carb bowl is getting fuel but its not getting pulled into the engine. Did compression test again, both cylinders pumped to 100+psi within 2 pulls. Main jet was clogged cleaned it and i have entire carb in a vat of carb cleaner hopefully help the little passages. Anyone think i should check for other things before reassemble?

the low speed needle adjustment will make it not start if the initial setting is way off.. turn it clockwise until you feel it just start to seat and then turn it back out about a full turn give or take and it should start but then youll need to fine tune it on the water to get your idle at the right rpm's, make very small adjustments either clockwise or counterclockwise and give the motor about 15-30 seconds for each adjustment so the fuel and air will get in the motor.. are you sure the motors not getting fuel? how did you check your spark? holding the plug to the head and turing the motor over to check spark is a waste of time because even if you see spark doesent mean its strong enough to combust fuel, u need to buy a spark tester (under 10 buck) or make one to properly check it. when motor wont start always start at the fuel tank and check everything from there to the carb, check the hose to the primer bulb(if u have one), hose to the motor, fuel pump and carb. if your for sure not getting gas to the motor then you know its the carb causing the problem, if not the carb then start checking ignition coils,power pack,stator,charge coil, plate etc....

I got the adjustable spark tester from advanced it showed a beautiful spark across a 3/8" gap. If i pour fuel directly into the air intake it will idle until i stop pouring the fuel into it. Motor sounds strong as its idling. I believe the problem is the tiny little tube that goes from SS port to the carb bowl may be clogged up. Carb has been soaking in carb cleaner for a while now and im going to try pushing some wire through all the little valleys in the carb to make sure they are clear. I have been tinkering with this little baby since thursday and i cant think of anything else it could be. I have mixed seafoam into the mix so once i get her running it will hopefully stay clean from now on.

Oh and by the way the fuel pump is working the bowl gets filled up and it just isnt getting sucked into the motor. Did a vacuum test on the motor and it passed so i hope i am working the kinks out of this motor ive heard that they are very strong motors as long as the ethanol doesnt kill it first.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345259#p345259 said:
Nordpirat » 49 minutes ago[/url]"]Oh and by the way the fuel pump is working the bowl gets filled up and it just isnt getting sucked into the motor. Did a vacuum test on the motor and it passed so i hope i am working the kinks out of this motor ive heard that they are very strong motors as long as the ethanol doesnt kill it first.

tiny little tube that goes from ss port to the bowl???? what do u mean by SS port? compressed air works well to blow everything out. and you heard correct when you were told they are strong motors, as for the ethanol it does gum things up but one way of preventing it or prolonging it is to pull your gas line off the motor at the dock and let it idle and run out of gas so your carb,pump and fuel lines don't have that crap just sitting in there when ur not using it. I always run my motor out of gas after each use regardless of ethanol being in the gas...

That tiny piece of copper that goes from the slow speed screw down through the venturi and into the post where the fuel jet is. Good to know about running the carb empty that will surely prevent future carb issues, thanks!

gotchya! youll get it running was you unclog whats clogged.. be careful and don't seat that slow speed needle too hard it has a very fine point and if it gets bent the slightest its ruined... good luck

Its ALIVE! after 2 days in carb cleaner i put the carb back together primed the bowl after 3 pulls it started. Had to adjust the SS screw after i got it running for some time, of course in the test tank with fresh water running. Carb had to have been really gummed up. Hoping to river test it this weekend after i put a new fuel pump on itt was a little weak it was a little cruddy inside(fuel pump). Motor sounds happy to run again, Thx for the info guys!

Latest posts