1989 Mariner 50HP Prop Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLK79

Reaction score
I picked up a 1989 50 HP, 3 cylinder (3 spark plugs) with tilt and trim for 650 bucks. Problem is it has no prop and I know nothing about props. Can someone help me pick the right one?

- 3 blade vs 4 blade?

- What Pitch should I get?

Mainly lake and river fishing however some flats fishing may take place if I get lucky. Thanks for the help!

look up your motor model # and you will find props in the lower unit section of the schematic. it should show ya the stock prop size and show some other options. your boat weight with all your gear should be factored in to the decision of what size prop.

without the serial number off the motor all I could come up with is a 12 1/4 R9 some of them mariners have the bigfoot lowers(mercury makes/made mariners) and some don't and I assume the different lowers have different gears so the props could be different on them. marineengine.com is where I found what I found..

Thanks for the link! Ill order a manual and get started. I have the serial number at home and can provide later.

My motor # is OC134528 If you can use that for more info then I would appreciate it. Ill go to the site and try a cross reference with this number as well.

You need a tach to properly determine what pitch to use. Average boat, start with 12 pitch or so and try it. Borrow a good prop from somebody and get an rpm reading at top speed. Too high and rpm and you need more pitch, to low and rpm reading and you need less pitch.

Thanks for the info. Once I hang the motor Ill do that. I have to finish the build but I wanted a good starting point. 1968 TERRY River flats slayer is my thread under jon boat conversions.

Latest posts