Evinrude 25 fuel burn per hour or per mile?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
I'm planning my first fishing trip early tomorrow morning, and I have a long ways to run to get to the fishing, about 12 miles and back, plus the distance traveled once I actually start fishing. I estimate I'll go 35 miles before the day is over.

I'm running an Evinrude 25 HP on a 14' Crestliner deep-V boat. Top speed is about 25, but I plan to run about 3/4 trottle, or about 20 MPH, getting me to my fishing spot in about 40 minutes.

Does anyone have an approximate fuel burn per hour for an Evinrude 25 at 3/4 throttle? Or the approximate miles per gallon they get with their 25? Not looking for "THE" answer, just trying to get a general idea of the fuel burn per hour with these motors.

Thanks!

-TH

A 25hp motor will use around 2.5 gallons per hour at wide open throttle.

Thank you for the reply! Was starting to worry.

That sounds like a reasonable number. If that's the case, then the 1-1/2 hours running time could burn as much 5 gals, plus an gallon or so trolling around, to finish off the 6 gal tank. If I bring a second tank, then I should have double what I need for the outing. Excellent.

Can anyone confirm the approximate burn rate?

I'll have my GPS on, and I'll make sure to set the trip calculator, and will report my actual fuel usage.

Thanks.

-TH

As previous poster noted, it's a generally accepted rule of thumb that 2 stroke outboards burn approx. 10% of rated HP at WOT.

Running at 3/4 throttle will save a butt load of fuel. A spare 3 gal tank will save ya weight and space

Gentlemen,
Just got back from my first fishing trip in my jon, and it was a success. I jigged up a 34" striper plus some smaller 20-somethings, but mainly the boat ran great, and it was beautiful out there.

And before I talk about fuel usage, I have a confession.... It was so calm and beautiful out, and I was so excited about my first fishing trip of the year that I ran WOT all day long. I ran her as fast as she would go.

The run to the fishing grounds was almost exactly 14 miles, and before the day was over, I ran almost exactly 34 miles And thankfully, your calculations were right on. The 6-gallon tank did it all. When I go cover the boat, I'll check the exact fuel level, but I believe it used about 5 gallons total. This gives me nearly 7 MPG running at WOT. If I'd slowed down, it might increase. I guess we will see.

Thanks again for the help.

-TH

I use to run 80-90 min round trip at WOT on the river and and I'd usually burn around 4-4.5 gal. On the few times that I ran between 2/3rd - 3/4th throttle for prolonged stretches, I could see a huge difference in the fuel burn rate. But i was young enough that I just couldn't stand knowing I had unused throttle so I never made a complete trip at those lower throttle settings. :lol:

JM,

I had to do a double-take when I read your post. At first, I thought you said you ran 80-90 MILES on 4 gallons!

But your post and my experience yesterday make me wonder...

I'm used to having bigger boats that do at least 40, and I usually cruise at 30-32. This jon only does 22-24 at WOT, and it feels slow, so I'm running it to death.

I wonder how much faster a 30, 35 or 40 HP motor would push this hull? (It's rated for 60 HP)

More power would certainly push it faster, but what concerns me is the possibility that a heavier motor would weigh down the back of the boat and make it less seaworthy. Right now, the back of this boat floats like a cork. I have never taken any water over the transom, and I want to keep it that way!

So if I increase my HP, I want to do it in a way that does not increase weight. Is the 35 HP made on the same block as the 25?? Or is this just a waste of time, and I just need to get used to 20 MPH?

Hmmmmm........

-TH

Depending on how badly you want to go faster, you could have some pods added to the back of your boat to offset the extra weight of a larger motor. I run some rivers where logs or tree trunks are commonly found floating on or just slightly below the surface and I'd be worried about going any faster. Some of the lakes I run could stand a little more speed though. :twisted:

I forgot about adding pods. I was going to trade a guy for a pair of them, but we both lost interest, and it never happened. But I really like the idea of extra floatation.

I'm wondering how they mount to the transom, as I have a wood transom on the back that doesn't go all the way down to the bottom. Seems like the pods would need something flat to mount to.

Also, I have a round-bottom hull, The pods are square, correct?

-TH

Some of the 25's can have a 30 or 35HP carb mounted on them.
In a perfect world you want 75% of the rated hp.

Almost forgot the pictures from the trip....

The boat, loaded and ready to go
DSC01628.JPG

Look at the bay. Smooth as glass! Can you blame me for running WOT?
DSC01617.JPG
IMG-20140321-00086.jpg

And my first decent fish of the year. All fish were released to go make babies!
IMG-20140321-00080.jpg

A beautiful day to run a jon boat in the bay!

-TH

Latest posts