when to tilt ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzybil

Reaction score
must seem foolish but beyond when i want motor OUT the water..............i really dont know when to use the tilt on my outboard.....

some simple idea of when it should be allllllllll the way down and when angled or up some ?? does it matter ? any advantages either way ????????????

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345696#p345696 said:
zzzybil » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:17 am[/url]"]must seem foolish but beyond when i want motor OUT the water..............i really dont know when to use the tilt on my outboard.....

some simple idea of when it should be allllllllll the way down and when angled or up some ?? does it matter ? any advantages either way ????????????

If you do not have PTT (Power tilt and trim) you will want to adjust your angle to get the best all around running. Up too high and you will have a hard time planning, and/or porpoising at higher speed. Too low and your bow will dig in and cause loss of speed and handling issues.

If you have PTT then you will want it all the way in for take off, then slowly tilt motor out as your speed increases. With PTT it takes a bit of "seat time" but you will get the hang of it. Best thing is to have someone experienced take you out and show you.

PTT also helps you control the boat in rougher water.

Tilt is for when you are stopped or trailering your boat. Trim is for when you're underway and want to achieve best speed, ride and/or rpm.

need more info , what size motor? does it have PTT ? are you meaning you want the motor out of the water when the boat is in the water ?

check it...

trim-fla.gif

IMG_0005.JPG

yes it has power trim tilt.........i tilt it all the way up ( out water- when trailering / anchored&fishing )

thanks the pictures helped ... dint know about the'' bow diggin'' when too far down........

When taking off usually you would tilt the motor "in" or "down "to get a better bite and it helps you get on plane faster. After your on plane, start trimming the motor " out" or "up" . This will raise to bow and increase top end speed, if you go too far the bow will start hopping or porpoising. If so just trim it back in a bit. This is all really just a general explanation of it all. Each boat is different and your just going have to play with it and find out what works best. Boat handling and steering are affected how far the motor is trimmed in or out. Throttle and trim go hand in hand so to speak. The more throttle ,the more you trim it out.

Latest posts